ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748117 Members
3708 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML350 G5 internal & external health leds blinking on front panel

BirdmanEccles

I had a problem with an HP ML350 Gen 5 tower.

The symptoms were:- Both front panel LEDs flashing red when power button pressed - NOTHING else.

Internally the PPM2 LED was an amber colour. 

Disconnecting and reconnecting the mains made the front panel and board LEDs look normal but when the power button was pushed the above symptoms happened again!

I then, based on the fact that the external health LED on the front panel was flashing red and this issue would need solving before moving on, took a power supply from a redundant server (in my garage for the last 6 months!) and replaced the power supply in the problem server. Checked everything was tied down, connected properly etc., and reconnected the mains. Guess what - the server started up and went through the motions fine.

I would therefore say that the first thing to try if you have the symptoms above is to replace the power supply - after checking that the wattages, and preferably HP part nos are the same (I was lucky the power supply I used was exactly the same in these respects.

edonley

We had the same issue with an ML350 G5 tower model.  Would shut down randomly.  Tried several different fixes with no results.  Luckily we didn't need a server class machine to fill that role anymore.  Once I had it replaced and down to my office I cracked it open and noticed all the capacitors on the top of the system board were swollen, several had actually broke and were leaking.  I counted ten of them that were like that.

Fred_39

We have four ML350 G5 servers. Two of which are working and two of which are dead with exactly the same problem: both internal and external LED's blinking red and the amber PPM2 LED flashing.

We replaced the PSU and backplane on one of the servers and it made no difference at all. It was still dead with the same problem. When the second server died today with the same issue I Googled and found the following post:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03562080-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken 

and this lead me to replace the cpu0 processor with one out of the second dead machine we have and bingo! it leapt in to life.

However, it isn't the end of the story as I then took the second processor out of one of the working servers and put it in the cpu0 slot of our original dead machine and it still won't start and still has the same flashing LED's.

What is going on with these servers!

Paul Daws
Frequent Visitor

Your servers may not both have the same fault.

So where a CPU may fix one machine it may not fix the other machine.

I'df suggest you try replacing the PPM next, this may fix the problem.

DIMITRIS_10

hI Paul

I have the exact same problem

Tried all of the above, haven't replaced the motherboard yet (and I m not going to)

What do you mean by PPM?

Paul Daws
Frequent Visitor

Hi The PPM is the Processor Power Module

Processor Power Module
413980-001

HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Server - Spare Parts