ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748051 Members
4944 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML350 G6 System Critical Failure LED, system won’t turn on (stay on)

SOLVED
Go to solution
NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

HP ML350 G6 System Critical Failure LED, system won’t turn on (stay on)

I need some help here folks.   We have HP ML350 G6 that has been running flawlessly for several months until last week when I attempted to install a video card in the system.   I added a card I know functions properly in the PCI-E Slot, and powered on the system.  I did not get any video of off the card.  I then plugged the monitor into the on-board, and successfully got into BIOS with video working.  I then though I would disable the on-board video card (option in BIOS to make add-in primary, and on-board disabled) for testing purposes. 

I rebooted the machine, plugged the monitor back into the on-board, booted up, but still no video.   At this point, I then shut down the server, removed the add-in card, plugged video back into onboard thinking that without an add-in card, it would default back to onboard video in BIOS. 

It was at this point that when I turned the machine back on, when my real problems started.  The system fans and system would power up for about 1 second, then shut down, and this process would keep repeating itself.   The Red System Critical Alert LED was displaying on the front (blinking).

I then went to the HP Service and Maintenance manual to troubleshoot and look for other LED lights on the motherboard.     Of all the various LED’s in the manual that indicate fault errors, none of them were lit, except 2 LED’s located on the end of the board, right above the right RAM band, below the power connectors for the motherboard, labeled CR7 and CR8.  These two LED’s alternate on and off while the system is in the power reboot loop. 

Hp1.jpg

I cannot find anything online, or in any of the manuals, as to what these two LED’s mean. 

I then started testing components one by one.  Here is the list of items I’ve tried:

1. Removed (alternated) each of the redundant power supplies and tried to boot off of each one individually
  2. Removed all RAM and tested with just 1 stick (2 different sticks individually)
  3. Removed all drives
  4. Checked all physical connectors
  5. Reset NVRAM and switch 6 using the manual instructions to reset the BIOS/NVRAM
  6. Replaced the power supply Backplane with a new one
  7. Replaced the one CPU I have installed with a new one

I tested rebooting after each step above, and the same behavior occurred after each step.    I am at a complete loss as to what could be the issue.  The last component to replace would be the motherboard, but we would prefer knowing this is in fact, the issue before purchasing.  

Is there anything I’ve missed testing-wise?  Any other component to check?  Does anyone know what these two green alternating C7 and C8 LED’s could be referring to?   We have been down over a week and are starting to get desperate.

Thanks for any help or troubleshooting anyone can provide.

15 REPLIES 15
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

[quote] 2 LED’s located on the end of the board, right above the right RAM band, below the power connectors for the motherboard, labeled CR7 and CR8.  These two LED’s alternate on and off while the system is in the power reboot loop. [/quote]

Those two LEDs alternating on and off mean that iLO2 is alive and well.

Have you tried Setting the Switch #6 to clear NVRAM?

Thanks Oscar. Yup, tried that as well. I took the CMOS battery out, flipped the switch to 6, put the battery back in, and powered the machine back up. Same behavior. I then pulled the power, flipped the switch 6 back off, and powered up again. same behavior.
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the system board was damaged by the video card. What video card is this?

Hi NG-Ops,
How's ILO? You haven't mentioned about it. If it's working then you may get insight into IML and system info.
You have already tested different RAM, Processor and Power supply backplane.
Best guess is to replace System board now
Let us know how it gets resolved
-Tarun Jain

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

TarunJain
Respected Contributor

You can also try to invoke the Redundant ROM:

1. Power down the server (on page 18).

2. Remove the access panel (on page 20).

3. Set positions 1, 5, and 6 of the system maintenance switch to On.

4. Install the access panel (on page 20).

5. Power up the server (on page 18).

6. Wait for the server to emit two beeps.

7. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

8. Set positions 1, 5, and 6 of the system maintenance switch to Off.

9. Repeat steps 4 and 5.

Hope it will help
Cheers!!
Tarun Jain

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

The Video card I tried to put in it was a NVidia NX8800GT that has an external 6-port power need. I used an adapter to the standard 4 port plug that's in the server, and I'm wondering if this was the cause of the issue; however I think it's odd that it would short out the motherboard. I've done this dozens of times in workstations, so I'm not sure what happened.
NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

The ILO works fine, but looking through the logs I didn't see anything reported other than times I pulled the power cable to the server, it reported lost power, etc. Nothing critical in the logs however.
the system board seems like the next thing to try, I just wanted to make sure others felt that was the best thing to do before I bought one. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. Thanks guys!
NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Just FYI, this issue turned out to be the system board.   Once replaced, everything worked properly again.

PTCsupport
Occasional Advisor

Insight  

Removed Bios Battery  to check 3.xx volts 

Ok check but observed tha after removing  fot 30 sec Server go to Grenn and boot without end user 

30 sec  do not shown bios Date time reset

but after more than 1 minute  Bios date and time has to be set again