1753964 Members
7416 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML350 Random Restarts

Rohan McPhee

HP ML350 Random Restarts

Hi Guys,

I have a major problem with a client's ML350G5 server. At seemingly random times during the day and night the server will restart with no warning or error message.

The machine restarts fine and once restarted all applications it's running start to function again on the workstations with any hassles.

Over the weekend I decided to delete and rebuild the RAID Array, reinstall windows and reinstall all related software. During the rebuild everything was fine but the morning after the restarts continued.

We are running MS Windows Server 2003 set up as a file server, terminal server and print server. It is sitting in a domain behind another HP running SBS2003.

My next idea is to change out the RAM and see what happens. Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
ess
Super Advisor

hi
you run diagnostic utility in smart start and view report get.
you see silicon for cpu and content is suffice.
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Rohan,

At first reseating all of the componenet of the server.

then update system BIOS (from net)www.hp.com
then update PSP (proliant support pack from net)
then update firmaware (firnware cd from net)

rgds//
Taifur
Rohan McPhee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I have run the diagnostics from the SmartStart CD to no avail. They say that everything is running as it should be.

I will try reaseating, updating the BIOS, PSP and Firmware tonight and see what happens.

I have some new RAM here so I will test that also.

Cheers,
Rohan
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

I would make sure that the NIC (373i) is up to date. Be aware, you have to upgrade to 4.6.16.0 before you can go any higher.

Also, you should oook at getting the Storport HotFix from Microsoft. We are currently using KB946448, but as I understand, there is currently a later version available but I'm not sure what the KB number is. We had multiple issue where a server would reboot or hang due to compatibility issues with the Storport Driver and SP2.

Have you disabled ASR to see if there is a Blue Screen or any other error? This may help, assuming you get alerts and woken up in the middle of the night.
Rohan McPhee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have changed out the RAM and touch wood the server hasn't rebooted yet.

I think I will still upgrade the firmware and support pack as a precaution.

I will also turn off ASR in case it happens again.