ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748256 Members
3917 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

DaveDCR

It seems that there may be multiple fan-based issues described in this thread; both constant, loud fan noise and periodic cycles of "sirening" noise.

We had a server with the "sirening" variety of noise, this is the general config and how the issue was resolved.

ML350p Gen8, Server 2008 R2

Cooling set to Optimal

PCIe card - HP SC11Xe Host Bus Adapter - if the card is uninstalled the issue goes away

Steps attempted:

Applied SPP 2013 (current), all applicable updates

Applied array controller firmware 3.54

Reset iLO

Reset NVRAM

Unplugged server, left cold for 5 min.

None of these steps corrected the issue. I was then advised by HP support to make this adjustment:

From the RBSU, select:

Power Management Options > Advanced Power Management Options > PCIe Gen 3 Control

For the slot where the add-on PCIe card is installed, toggle the setting to Disabled.

While the SCSI HBA above is the recommended HBA for this server, ours was 6 years old and does not support the PCIe 3.0 standard. The server has been quiet since the adjustement was made.

giallu
Occasional Visitor

I am in the same situation with a new server here at work.

The point is, when I get into the RAID controller setup (which is, AFAICS, a Linux based environment) the fans slows down correctly. So I think HP may have kernel patches or other configurations around that never made into distributions and affect the ability to control fans.

This is really disappointing.

giallu
Occasional Visitor

It seems the lastest Firmware upgrade (SP62937) have some effect on the issue. The fan is still running at a fixed speed but at least it is a lower default so you can actually keep the server in the same room as you are...

nszhang
Occasional Visitor

I had the motherboard replaced, upgraded to the  latest firmware (J02 07/02/2013) and latest iLO firmware 1.30. Also added in a missing HD blank and the PCI fan baffle. This has reduced the fan speed (and noise level) from just above 50% to 30%. At 30% the noise is still noticeable but not screaching like before.

I read reviews that the ML350p G8 generates the noise barely above whisper level. There seems to be an issue with ML350e G8 model. If the 'p' version runs so quietly, why not the 'e' version.

This is a great server if not for the noise it generates.

HP, please pull your resouces and help identify the issue and resolve it.

grey209
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Just a short status update for those who face the same problem as me.

I have the same "loud fan noise" problem with a HP ML350e gen8 server without any extension cards running SLES 11 SP2 xen kernel. Yesterday I installed the new HP firmware (BIOS), and the speed of the fans went down to ~30%. Still loud, but it is better than 57%. Then I installed the hvpsa kernel modul from HP altough I don not use the B120i controller, but the fans are still at 30%. The motherboard has been replaced months ago.

Yobbo
Occasional Visitor

Not sure if this will help, but i have a ML 350e Gen8 straight out of the box with the fan noise issue that you all appear to have. My solution:

F9 and go into bios setup. Find cooling which i think was in advanced and change it from increased to optimal cooling.

Fans are now at an acceptable level.

Hope this helps.

kamkoc
Visitor

Hey guys!

Did anyone solve the noise problem with HP ML350e Gen8? I'm considering returning mine as fans don't go slower then 29% - still not acceptable noise level for office space :/

Thanks,

Kamil

solarthread

We had success in sorting the fluctuating fan noise issue on a variety of ML350p Gen 8s

The fans now run at 6/27/27 which is acceptable for an office environment

It appears the Power Management Update  3.2 Sept 2013 Online ROM Flash for Windows x64 - Power Management Controller (HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers) sort this one out.

When conducted along with the latest release of the P72 system bios, the SmartArray v4.68 update and the iLO 1.32 update, the fan noise stabilises regardless of load

Sadly, the PMU firmware can only be flashed from a windows based environment, so those of you on ESXi like us will need to boot onto a Windows 7/8/2008R2/2012 install on a seperate disk be it in the RAID or as an additional drive plugged into the internal sata ports.

From testing, the fluctuating (and in fact, increased) fan noise will happen with pretty much any PCIe card put in the server regardless of settings. HP tell me the increased fan speed is by design due to increased airflow needed for expansion cards, but the fluctuating is a firmware bug.

Hope this helps!

Buffoon

Re: HelRe: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

Did someone already found a compatible USB 2.0 or 3.0 PCI-E card which doesn't increase the fan speed?

Does HP have this cards and what are the partnumbers?

I use a HP Proliant 350e G8 and the fan speed increases from 6% to 25 - 30% if I install a Startech 4 port USB 3.0-card (PEXUSB3S4V).

msimonds
Occasional Advisor

Also experencing this issue on server,

We have installed a P410i RAID card and installed all updates as suggested by HP Tech Support.

This update has also been installed with no effect - 

As per the design the Gen8 servers tend to speed up the fans in case there is a PCI card installed.

This happens as the normal flow of the air is obstructed causing the fans to run at higher RPM for optimized cooling.

As per the report I can see :

5     4x/x4     PCI-E Slot 5      PCI Express Gen2 x8   HP Smart Array P410 Controller

Which could be a cause of the issue reported.

Advised is to

> ensure we are running the latest firmware for the HP Smart Array P410

> Controller

* RECOMMENDED * Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array P212, P410, P410i, P411, P711m, P712m, and P812

By downloading, you agree to the terms and conditions of the HP Software License Agreement.

Type:     Firmware - Storage Controller

Version:               6.40 (B) (18 Oct 2013)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=Online%20ROM%20Flash%20Component%20for%20Windows%20-%20Smart%20Array%20P212%2C%20P410%2C%20P410i%2C%20P411%2C%20P711m%2C%20P712m%2C%20and%20P812&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

After this update made no difference we went back to HP and got the following reply - 

Issue : High Fan Speed

I had a detailed discussion with the Senior Engineer and they have also confirmed that the steps that we performed so far were the only work around for this issue.

As per the design the Gen8 servers tend to speed up the fans in case there is a PCI card installed.

This happens as the normal flow of the air is obstructed causing the fans to run at higher RPM for optimized cooling and also they are designed to be used in  data centers .

I am yet to give up hope as we have a few of these servers out in the real world and would like HP to address this option rather that assume these servers as all in DataCenters around the world.