1752310 Members
5902 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380pG8 - Re: HelRe: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

James MacMaster
Occasional Visitor

We experienced the constant ramping up and down of the fans on a ML350p Gen8 after updating to SPP 2016.4.0

Fan speeds had been fairly low and consistent prior to the update.

Downgrading to the 331 NIC firmware in the links provided by PGTRI resloved the issue.

Appreciated thankyou

James

reddogchop

Excellent answer, after upgrading to the latest SPP (ML350p G8) fans 2 and 3 were ramping to 18% and as high as 33%; downgraded the NIC firmware per link and hey presto all back to the usual 6%.  Nice work..

hpesxi
Occasional Visitor

I get 

[root@localhost:/tmp] ./CP023981.scexe
This version of ESX is not supported. Exiting,,,

Which version of ESXi were you using?

hpesxi
Occasional Visitor

I unplugged the thermal cable and the fan goes from 31% to 22% idle.  Still too loud but better, something is wrong here. 

cincinnatimann
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

ack this probem is due to few things, and not just to one,  fisrt remove all heatsinks off mother board clean all chips and reapply a really good thremal compond,  age of pc and kind of themal compond used drys out, and u get chips running much hotter, now to cpu if one look at heat sink one find few probems what made of not copper, size of heat sink to small for amout of btu the cpus are giveing off, throw even said this, is fix, note looking at chip on endge of chip there gold places,. this must be insulated with well anything dose not conduct elec, the breack that holds down cpu can short these places out, now to themal past there is a themal past is a liquid mettel, be very carefull it is and will conduct elect and 10 times heat, chip must be clean and i do meen clean and so dose heat sink in fack best thing clean heatsink with is accatone, u only put enouf to cover the chip no more make shure all corners are cover do not put more then is requred to cover the chip, in shot less the better, reinstall heat sink,  i have rebuilt many of these, and be honest heatsink is the probems, that and rest chips over heating,  this should make fans slow down 50% if done right if not u blow the chip,  this stuff been on market very long time and works all so well but this is liqued mettel is nothing to take lightly it must not run off the sides of chip, again do not add more then is needed, if u do all this work it will run better then new < u can do same with video card will reduce heat by factor of 30%

AndyChips
Advisor

Re: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

We've had a similar problem with a DL380 Gen9. Once every 5 or 6 months it goes into meltdown. All fans on 100% and the server (Hyper-v 2016) is unresponsive. The only thing to do is to power it off.

The only other time it happens is when a network broadcast storm happens, i.e. when someone loops an ethernet cable back into the same switch.

Even though it happens infrequently I'd love to find a fix for the first issue though.