1751716 Members
5404 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

RedSteed

Re: HP ML350e Gen8 Fan Noise

Our experiment:

If you pull out the external thermal cable connector (nr 32 on 350e Gen 8), the fans go quiet... It seems, that the BIOS parameters for fan speeds for a temperature are too high. If you pull out that cable, the BIOS is faked, so it thinks, that the inlet temperature is only 0C/32F, so fan speed is 12% (6%/fan). If you re afraid about processor temperature you can still ask the iLO to send email if it goes high.

pidesign
Occasional Visitor

Tried pulling the Thermal cable connector and re-booted - showed 0C/32F but no difference to fan noise, fans 1 & 2 are still around 43%, fan 3 is 34 % and fan 4 is 6%, have now replaced the cable.

Tried new Firmware updates but they are not accepted by my model ML350e gen 8 Server.

Come on HP it has been six months now since the first post, its about time a solution was found for this problem, besides the fan noise it is an excellent Server.

Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

I had some issues with fan noise on a ML350p Gen8 (first one we'd bought).  That turned into an issue where the fans weren't properly making their connections.

What I've seen lately is 6 of our ML350p Gen8's complaining about overheating - two of them to the point that they shut themselves down.  The first one of those two we finally had to swap out the entire system, short of the hard drives.  The latest one just started yesterday and has shut itself down twice.  I just got off the phone with HP and they gave me this link to the v3.54 firmware update for the array controller.  I'm going to apply that and see if it helps.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=5193414&swItem=MTX-392699655335408d82997a6669&prodNameId=5193409&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

[This link in no longer valid. You can refer the below link:]

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=ML350e%20Gen8%20Fan%20Noise&t=Documents&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&f:@kmdoclanguagecode=[cv1871440]&hpe=1

gdraft

Hi all,

Upgrading the storage controller firmware to version 3.54 fixed this problem for me. One thing to note is that after installing the firmware, I needed to reset the iLO before it took effect. I believe pulling the power on the host for a few minutes would also have the same effect, after the firmware update.

After the update and subsequent iLO reset the fans went from 40% down to 8-10%, I can hardly hear that server now and the client is happy again. :)

Here is a link to the download that worked for me:

http://tinyurl.com/qeg5naz

Hope that helps someone.

AJ

Sean Corbett
Advisor

A fix is finally available!!  I had a customer with this issue and I have been working with our support personal to come up with a fix.  Today they finally sent it to me.  I haven't actually tested it yet but I have received the ok to send the files to customers requesting them.

I am an HP employee

*** If my answer helped you click on the KUDOS star on the left to say Thanks ***
AndreG84
Regular Visitor

@

I Have the same Problem. Can you tell me how to fix it?

Thanks

Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

Sean,

What's the fix they sent you?  I will admit to being curious.

jerclil50

I install servers for a certified HP Business partner / reseller.  I've installed multiple ML350 G8 servers for customers with this very problem.  Please pass along this fix ASAP.  Thank you.  The up and down noise levels are disturbing to anyone going near these servers. 

RDamrath
Occasional Visitor

I had the same Problem with ML350 gen 8

In the ROM-Based Setup Utility I changed

Advanced Options / Thermal Configuration from Increased to Optimal Cooling.

That was the only way to silent the servers

Cesar Vieira
Advisor

Any further info about the fix?

I came across this problem yesterday at a customer with a ML350p Gen8, which I added a redundant fan but either with or without it I get a loud noise.

If I get my hand at the back of the fans I can see that fan number 2 is with a higher speed than the others, but I switched the fan itself and the problem isnt on the fan, if I remove it for troubleshooting purposes the noise goes away for about 3 seconds, then comes again.

I've reseated all fans, unplugged and plugged power supplies, removed an additional smart array adapter, upgraded all firmwares, removed the redundant fan, but never get rid of that noise.

The customer will be moving to another office and the server will be near an user, and I wouldn't want to be on the situation that user will be if can't get rid of the fan noise...

If there's any more information regarding the fix for this problem just let people here know about it.

Thanks