ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748136 Members
3598 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML370 G4 wont boot. No video output.

Glenn _G
Occasional Advisor

HP ML370 G4 wont boot. No video output.

Hi.
A customer of mine has a HP ML370 G4 that wont boot.
When I turn it on the fans start running, and all LEDs on the front of the server are green, but I never get any video output.
The iLO does not get an DHCP lease when I connect it to a switch. I cant find the iLO interface when using an IP scanner to scan the subnet this company uses on its LAN.

The server has not been in use the last couple of years. To my understanding it has just been standing with the power cable inserted but turned off most of the time. When I came to pick it up it was powered on, and I had noticed it being on a couple of weeks before I picked it up also. I could not get any video output from it when it was installed in the customers server room either.

The server probably don't have any OS installed, or if it does the data is not important, I'm going to reinstall it.

* I have opened the server and checked for other error indications, but all leds are green.
The server has 4 memory modules. I have tried removing two of them and putting them in slot 1 and 2, and I have tried this with both pairs of RAM.
* I have tried removing the RAID controller and removing the power from the hard drive back plane.
* I have refitted all cables that connects to the mainboard, and even the CPU.
* I have tried putting the mainboard into Maintenance mode with DIP switch nr 6, Resetting BIOS password with DIP 5, and disabling iLO security with DIP 1.

The server still does not produce any video output, and the iLO still doesn't get a DHCP lease.

When I insert the power cable into the PSU the fan starts running, and the LED on both the iLO and ethernet NIC turns on if I connect it to the ethernet.
The LED on the PSU goes green when I power on the server. It is off when the power cable is inserted but the server is in standby.

What should I do next?
Can the LEDs on the mainboard to the right of PROC 1 be used to do any troubleshooting?
They are blinking when the power cable is inserted but the server is off, and only some of them are constantly on when the server is powered on.
6 REPLIES 6
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Just an idea.

If you haven't already tried this, un-plug all the PCI Cards, array controller, optical drives etc from the System Board and power up the server.

Regards,
Shiraj.
Glenn _G
Occasional Advisor

I have tried that as well.
I have also tried unplugging the power and taking the bios battery out. I left it without a battery for 1,5 hours.

When I use the DIP switches to invalidate the config, am I supposed to do it in a special way?

I just switched DIP nr 6 to ON with the power cable inserted and tried to turn on the server.
Still the same problem though.
B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

And how about swapping out the processor?
It could be broken.
Glenn _G
Occasional Advisor

Could try, just need to get hold of a spare.
The PROC1 error light is not in a error state though.
zerosignal0

I am having the same problems with a DL360 G3 and no video output. I have found that if I leave the system fully unplugged and powered down for about 4-6 hours then boot up again video works just fine even if I do a soft reboot. If I pull the power and plug directly back in then no power at boot again. I can vouch that I have no error lights and can even interact with the server via network just fine as it boots into its OS without problem.
Carlos E. Amaya

Hi,
I have the same problem. I think it may be the source of power. did you solve anything?

The powder with moisture deteriorates the power, if you have a new power source comes change.