Did you mean: 

HP ML370 Unable to Install Windows 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Ostrander
Occasional Contributor

HP ML370 Unable to Install Windows 2003

Hi,

Here is a brief description of the issue I am having. Have a brand new HP Proliant ML370 server. Using RAID1. Using SmartStart v6.4. I am trying to install Windows 2003 Standard Edition. I boot of the SmartStart CD go through the prompts. Load Windows 2003 everything seems successful until the server reboots for the last time to bring me in the OS. At that time the server hangs at the Splash Screen. I am able to reboot the server and go into it using SAFE MODE. When I go into SAFE MODE the only device that is having an issue is the iLO board. I reinstalled the iLO drivers (from Support Pack v7)reboot the server and it still hangs.
I have blown away the raid and recreate it and reinstall the OS but no luck. I have been able to install Windows 2000 Advance Edition on the server(same server) without any problems, but I want Windows 2003 on it.
Any suggestions? I have been in contact with HP Support but no luck yet!
This install should work, but what is wrong?? If you need to know anything else let me know.

Thanks.. Tony
6 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ML370 Unable to Install Windows 2003

Hello Tony,
What is the BIOS date of your server??

Regards,
Anthony Ostrander
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The bios on the system is P28 dated 9/8/2003

The system is using a Compaq SmartArray 641 Controller v.1.30
And also it is a ML370 G3 server.

Thanks
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Tony,
There is newer one on the web. Here is the link for that:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_4307.html#5

Please update it and see if that helps.

Regards,
Anthony Ostrander
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I applied the newer update (dated 12/31/03) but that still didn't help any.
Also when I boot into "safe mood" and look in device manager it shows "BASE MEDIA DEVICE" as yellow, and unknown device. At first there were 2 of these entries. I applied the iLO Remote Card update and this removed one of them. One is still there.

Any thing else?

Thanks.. tony
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Tony,
Do you have any 3rd party hardware in the system?? If you do then take it out and see if all works fine. Secondly, why not removing the ILO and see if that's what is causing the problem.
Please let me know.

Regards,
Anthony Ostrander
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The iLO card is intergrated into the system. I did remove the Fiber card in the system as well as one of the processors and some of the memory (in case it was a conflict there) Still no luck.
What is odd is that the system works fine with Windows 2000 but not with 2003, well maybe not so odd.
I am thinking that it can be a problem with the intergrated SCSI and the drivers that it is loading. Is there a difference in the drivers? How would I go about checking and verifing this? A call again was placed with support on 2/13/04 but still no luck.

Thanks.. Tony