1753779 Members
7448 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP MLXXX with SAS

Andy Warner
Advisor

HP MLXXX with SAS

We are looknig to provision a new server for our customer. They currently have 10 users but are hoping to expand to 20 over the next 2 years. I only sell HP servers but cant find one that fits my requirments, it needs to be an ML series (no room for rack) but also support SAS as they are running two applications requiring SQL so i feel the need for faster disks.

The ML350p is too big and expensive, the ML310e would be perfect but doesnt support SAS out of the box and there is nothing in between.

Whats the cheapst way to fulfill the requirments?

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The ML310e Gen8 supports SAS. Look at the quickspecs, there is one preconfigured model that ships SAS ready. You can order any of the other models along with a "P" series Smart Array controller to enable SAS. If I recall, all you do is move the drive backplane cable from the embedded controller to the "P" series Smart Array

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

Actually, the models with the B120i controllers also support SAS - but only non-hotplug drives.  Also, the B120i controller only supports RAID 0, 1, and 1+0.

So in regards to SAS support -

ML310e Gen8 w/ B120i embedded controller = non-hotplug SAS, RAID 0/1/1+0

ML310e Gen8 w/ SmartArray P420 controller added = hotplug SAS, RAID 0/1/1+0/5 (can add also RAID 6, RAID 6+0, RAID 1 ADM, and RAID 1+0 ADM support by purchasing Smart Array Advanced Pack 2.0 license)

Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
Andy Warner
Advisor

Are you sure? The following link says its SATA only, that's what confused me....

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/dynamicsmartarray/index.html

Thanks for your advice so far
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

Actually now I'm not sure...

The ML310e Gen8 quickspecs say that the models with B120i have a "NHP SAS/SATA" hard drive cage, and P420 models have a "Hotplug SAS/SATA" hard drive cage. There's nothing in the quickspec anywhere to indicate that SAS won't work on the B120i and it implies SAS (albeit non-hotplug) will work.

The B120i quickspecs, on the other hand, seem to indicate that SAS isn't supported at all, and rather clearly.

Now I'm confused myself. Probably safest to just get the P420 (and you get hotplug anyway), though I'd love to know definitively if the non-HotPlug drives do or don't work on the B120i
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
Andy Warner
Advisor

So all i should need is the controller to SAS enable the server, the HDD cage and connection cable stay the same (although it wont be hot plug).

The downside to this is it adds ┬г300+ to the price of the server.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

B120i = SATA only

B320i = SATA by default, SAS can be enabled with a license key

P series Smart Array are both SAS and SATA

The ML310 has the B120i which is SATA only.  The drive backplane can handle either SAS or SATA drives so all you need is to add a "P" series Smart Array. If you want more thant RAID 0 or 1 you will need one with a cache module

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!