ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
4592 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Management Homepage service crashing.

Tamas Csabina
Occasional Advisor

HP Management Homepage service crashing.

Hi!

This is a Windows 2003 SP2 server, with Proliant Support pack 8.60 installed.

I`ve discovered a couple of days ago that there is an issue with the HP Management Homepage. I was not able to login on port 2381 (2301), so I started to investigate.

In the Windows Event Application log I`ve found:

Faulting application hpsmhd.exe, version 6.x.x.x, faulting module libhttpd.dll, version 6.x.x.x, fault address 0x00016246.

I`ve downloaded the latest PSP I have found, and did an update. Also allowed newer version from HP.com. After restart, the same issue occured.

I removed all HP related application. Removed every HP related folder from the %sysdrive, cleaned registry, did a reboot, and tried to install the latest standalon HP Management Hompage, not the one that comes from the PSP. After installing, the same error occurs.

In the Event Log:

Faulting application hpsmhd.exe, version 7.0.0.24, faulting module libhttpd.dll, version 7.0.0.24, fault address 0x00016246.

The shpmd.log file shows:

hpsmhd.exe: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
[Thu May 10 14:03:45 2012] [notice] CompaqHTTPServer/9.9 HP System Management Homepage/7.0.0.24 (Win32) mod_ssl/7.0.0.24 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.8 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu May 10 14:03:45 2012] [notice] Server built: Feb  4 2012 15:47:17
[Thu May 10 14:03:45 2012] [notice] Parent: Created child process 1220
hpsmhd.exe: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.5 for ServerName
[Thu May 10 14:03:46 2012] [notice] Child 1220: Child process is running
[Thu May 10 14:03:46 2012] [notice] Child 1220: Acquired the start mutex.
[Thu May 10 14:03:46 2012] [notice] Child 1220: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Thu May 10 14:03:46 2012] [notice] Child 1220: Starting thread to listen on port 2381.
[Thu May 10 14:03:46 2012] [notice] Child 1220: Starting thread to listen on port 2301.
[Thu May 10 14:03:51 2012] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting.

An this goes on and on, till I kill the service in service.msc.

Made a little search regarding "Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477", and found hits about Apache, myslq and php, so I guess the issues has to do something with the built-in webserver that comes with the Management Homapge, however I am not able to go furhter, locate and solve the problem.

I don`t realy need the management homepage, although it would be nice to have. What is realy important to be able to monitor the server`s hardware through snmp (fan, disk, raid health, etc) from another server. Do I really need the Management Homepage for this, or the snmp traps and agents are comming from a different installation?

3 REPLIES 3
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

You dont need SMH for SNMP traps, all you need is HP Insight Management Agents and configure SNMP traps for desired devices
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Tamas Csabina
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

However I have an issue too, if I want to install the Management Agents:

Downloaded version 9.0.0.0.

Trying to install, but got the following error:

The software is not supported for installation on this system.

The installation program couldn't find the appropriate system management controller driver which is required but is not currently installed.  Please install the appropriate system management controller driver and then rerun the setup program.

Press 'Close' to exit Setup.

chinmay
Frequent Advisor

This series servers will not have the Management Agents. HP has PSP for centos however it will not work on this server as it has embedded sata raid controller.Hp doesn't recommend neither supports this kind of configuration on the mentioned server. As you have configured the SNMP try below steps and give a try.you need to install the SMH an then the agents to get the traps. to be in safer side take valid data backup.

trying to install the following package:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/linux/hpsmh-2.1.5-146.linux.x86_64.rpm
you might get this error as:-
> This Red Hat Linux distribution is not supported.
> error: %pre(hpsmh-2.1.5-146.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
> error: install: %pre scriptlet failed(2),skipping hpsmh-2.1.5-146

Make a copy of /etc/redhat-release and copy a (official) RHEL
/etc/redhat-release onto your CentOS system... Then install hpsmh. Then move the copy of CentOS redhat-release back.
Or
# First do a upgrade of the system
yum update -y
# reboot if needed
# We need to trick the HP software so it thinks Redhat Enterprise is installed
nano /etc/redhat-release
# Remove what it says and insert: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 5
# Install dependencies
yum install compat-readline43 openssl097a compat-libstdc++-33 -y
# We need to change the posix default version
export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209
# And now we run the downloaded HP Smh Package
# Configuring the HP Smh for the system
/opt/mx/bin/mxinitconfig -l
/opt/mx/bin/mxinitconfig -a
# and done
You should now be able to login to the HP Smh via a web browser
Let me know if this works.

If my Post is useful Please Acknowledge by clicking the white KUDOS Star!!!!!!!!
-Chinmay Kabi Satpathy