1751971 Members
4778 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Ml350 g6 410i raid config with 8 600gb drives

bruce shaw
Occasional Contributor

HP Ml350 g6 410i raid config with 8 600gb drives

Looking for some advice on configuring an ML350 G6 with the 410i on-board controller. The machine is being built with new SAS drives of 600GB capacity. We have 8 drives available (had 8 300GB drives but the dataset to be transferred is really large - 150GB from 75GB within 1-1.25 years.) So we picked up some bigger new drives to hopefully last a couple years longer before we upgrade again. However, after running the ACU with a std. RAID 5 array config (w/512bit) using all 6 drives and saving the other 2 for spares (not sure if we want to use them for hotswap or not yet), we realized that we couldn't use the full space of the 6 drives (>2TBs).

We wanted to use the extra arms to get a little better performance since there's about 30 or so individuals hitting the DB and on the older server with 4 drives, it gets slow. Maybe we should just go back to the 300 GB drives to fit under the 2TB limitation and retain a simpler, easier to manage RAID config?

So any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP Ml350 g6 410i raid config with 8 600gb drives

Maybe create the array like you've mentioned and then create 2 logical drives withing the array. A small logical drive for the OS and related logs and a large logical drive to contain the database

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bruce shaw
Occasional Contributor

So you're proposing that we run the ACU but instead of making the full 6 drive array as 1 flat space (6 X 600GB in RAID5), to make 1 logical drive  for the OS, etc. (ie, a 500-600 GB logical drive as an example) and another logical drive (with the rest of the space, ~ 1.8TB roughly).

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bruce shaw wrote:

So you're proposing that we run the ACU but instead of making the full 6 drive array as 1 flat space (6 X 600GB in RAID5), to make 1 logical drive  for the OS, etc. (ie, a 500-600 GB logical drive as an example) and another logical drive (with the rest of the space, ~ 1.8TB roughly).

YeYes, that is what I'm suggesting
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!