HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP NC380T

duhaas_1
Occasional Advisor

HP NC380T

I have a dual port HP NC380T card, I was curious to know why i never see both ports sending information @ the same time? I have the two teamed, and am using automatic for both types and still dont seem to get both ports sending @ the same time. I have the two plugged into a cisco edge switch
5 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: HP NC380T

duhaas_1
Occasional Advisor

So I have looked @ my different options and have played with multiple settings and still can only get one of the two ports to send. Does anyone have the proper configuration that should be applied @ the switch level? i am using a cisco 3560. If the switch supports it, which one should i use?
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Hi Duhaas,
The load balancing algorithm used by NIC Teaming balances based on "conversation". A conversation can be recognized by source & destination MAC, source & destination IP, and/or source and destination IP+TCP port. If you are testing load balancing using only 1 or 2 clients, odds are won't see any load balancing.

In other words, to achieve load balancing, you must have many "conversations" to the server with the team. The load balancing algorithm is a "statistical" algorithm - it assumes there will be many conversations going on. Therefore, the higher the number of conversations, the more evenly distributed your traffic will be.

In your environment, try setting up at least 5 clients and have them all copying a file to/from the server. Since you have multiple conversations, you should see traffic balanced.

Also, if you don't have your switch setup for 802.3ad LACP mode on the downlinks to the team, then the teaming mode "Automatic" will do "Transmit Load Balancing" only. If you want transmit and receive load balancing, you will need to configure the Cisco switch for 802.3ad LACP port trunking on the downlinks to the team.

For more information, see the whitepaper I wrote here:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/networking/TeamingWP.pdf

Best regards,
-sean
duhaas_1
Occasional Advisor

I appreciate the nice followup, so what you are basically saying it is will be difficult to show both nics sending data @ the same time unless I setup a test to to tax it as much as possible? I am hooking the nics up to an iscsi nas, and wanted to utilize both transmits when writing data
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you are correct.

I think each iSCSI session uses a different TCP socket (source + destination TCP port). But I don't know for sure. As long as either the source TCP port or destination TCP port changes, then the more iSCSI sessions you add the more load balancing you get.

Hope this helps,
-sean