Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-OpenIPMI on a DL365 G5 running Linux 5.3

Chris Hasler
Advisor

HP-OpenIPMI on a DL365 G5 running Linux 5.3

Hi,

I have a Linux 5.3 host on a DL365 G5 which I'm attempting to configure to use WBEM.

One of the three HP Insight Mangement WBEM Providers for RHEL 5, hpmgmtbase-2.10-16.rhel5.x86_64.rpm requires hp-OpenIPMI.

I have installed the hp-OpenIPMI-8.3.1.-15.rhel5.rpm. There were no errors during the RPM installation but the ipmi modules (ipmi.si, ipmi_devintf and ipmi_msghandler) are not loaded. I even ran the /opt/hp/HP-OpenIPMI/make and rebuild scripts.

Does the DL365 G5 hardware not support the HP-OpenIPMI modules? If not how can I configure the server to use WBEM?

Thanks,
Chris H.
2 REPLIES
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Re: HP-OpenIPMI on a DL365 G5 running Linux 5.3

I've removed the hp-OpenIPMI-8.3.1-15.rhel5.rpm and installed the laster version hp-OpenIPMI-8.4.0-114.rhel5.x86_64.rpm.

I've followed all the install instructions and don't see any errors but still do not have any of the ipmi module loaded. I've run the rebuild script are rebooted. Still not ipmi modules.

Can someone from HP please let me know if this Hardware is compatible? I would assume so since it is since it's listed when quering for the DL365 G5.

Is there any documentation that exists which shows what software relies on other components? I have this host in my SIM and everything is green but I think that this issue with the IPMI stuff is preventing alerts from showing up in SIM for this host.

Thanks,
Chris H.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Re: HP-OpenIPMI on a DL365 G5 running Linux 5.3

I opened and case with HP support about this issue but so far they have not provided any troubleshooting ideas or answers.

I've spent quite a bit of time on this.

I removed the hp-OpenIPMI-8.4.0-114.rhel5 package and all traces of that package from the DL365 G5 host. I then installed the Open Source IPMI package OpenIPMI.x86_64 0:2.0.6-11.el5. After doing so I had a service ipmi which I could start which loaded the ipmi_msghandler, ipmi_si and ipmi_devintf modules. I used chkconfig to have the ipmi service start at boot up.

I then again installed the hp-OpenIPMI-8.4.0-114.rhel5 package. The installation created the /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI subdirectory and copied modules into the /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-128.2.1.0.1.el5-x86_64/include/linux and /lib/modules/2.6.18-128.2.1.0.1.el5/build/include/linux subdirectories.

The hp-OpenIPMI man page states that the /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/hp-OpenIPMI script is called by the hp-health agent. Well, that's great but I don't have the hp-health agent because I'm using the WBEM agents which is not compatible with hp-health. When I attempt to manually run the /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/hp-OpenIPMI script nothing happens. Looking at the script, it assumes that OpenWBEM CIMOM is installed rather than Pegasus.

I can manually load the modules just fine with modprobe.

modprobe -v -i ipmi_msghandler
modprobe -v -i ipmi_devintf
modprobe -v -i ipmi_si
modprobe -v -n -i ipmi_watchdog
modprobe -v -n -i ipmi_poweroff

I just have no way of creating the hp-ipmi service which I have on other hosts with an older verion of the hp-OpenIPMI rpm.

Chris H.