3636 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ProLiant DL180R G6 - Several Questions

Martin Schaible
Occasional Contributor

HP ProLiant DL180R G6 - Several Questions

Hi,

We have a brand new HP ProLiant DL180R G6 with P212/256MB Controller. This server will be our training object to learn to deal with VMWare ESXi ;-)

- I'm not sure, how big a SATA-Drive might be. Are 4* 1.5TB drives or even better 4* 2TB supported?

- How do you flash the components like RAID-controller, NIC under ESXi? I have the idea to install a windows 2003 first to update everything before i install ESXi. How do you flash the stuff later on?

- How can i check the status of the RAID-Controller running a virtualized Windows 2003? In this case, the OS has no access to the hardware, so the Array Diagnostics/Configuration software won't work.

- In general, the HP Array Diagnostics/Configuration Software looks a bit old fashioned to me, compared to other vendors i know. I miss, eg. a notification by mail if a drive fails. Are any alternatives available?

Thank you very much.
2 REPLIES 2
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant DL180R G6 - Several Questions

Hi,

We have a brand new HP ProLiant DL180R G6 with P212/256MB Controller. This server will be our training object to learn to deal with VMWare ESXi ;-)
#==========================================
ESXi is free of charge.

- I'm not sure, how big a SATA-Drive might be. Are 4* 1.5TB drives or even better 4* 2TB supported?

you can check it in the quick spec guide from your server

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13248_na/13248_na.html

- How do you flash the components like RAID-controller, NIC under ESXi? I have the idea to install a windows 2003 first to update everything before i install ESXi. How do you flash the stuff later on?

you can do it with the driver update cd offline

- How can i check the status of the RAID-Controller running a virtualized Windows 2003? In this case, the OS has no access to the hardware, so the Array Diagnostics/Configuration software won't work.

on a virtualized mahine you can't monitor a raid configuration, because all devices inside VM are no directly connected to the physical HW.

check this link :

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/213470

- In general, the HP Array Diagnostics/Configuration Software looks a bit old fashioned to me, compared to other vendors i know. I miss, eg. a notification by mail if a drive fails. Are any alternatives available?

hope it will help you.

mikap
Martin Schaible
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant DL180R G6 - Several Questions

Thank you for you help.