HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProLiant DL380 G3 - Windows Server 2003 Shuts Down Unexpectedly for no reason !!

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

HP ProLiant DL380 G3 - Windows Server 2003 Shuts Down Unexpectedly for no reason !!

Please Help!! 

My Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition shuts down unexpectedly for no reason; this happens after a clean installation.

I installed all the correct drivers which I downloaded from: 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288130&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316529&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#113214

Anyway, could someone please tell me if am doing something wrong or if there is something that I need to be aware of, because this is the first time am doing a Windows Server installation; sort of.

Please I need some assistance from anyone that can help!!

Ty !!

16 REPLIES
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant DL380 G3 - Windows Server 2003 Shuts Down Unexpectedly for no reason !!

This server is a bit old now...

It's best to boot from the smartstart cd

also the broadcomm firmware update utility can be critical

Phil

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP ProLiant DL380 G3 - Windows Server 2003 Shuts Down Unexpectedly for no reason !!

thanks Phil,

you're right .. the server is kinda old now. I guess  the new update for gigabit ethernet nic driver or broadcomm update was unstable. I'll have to somehow install the old version of it again. Once again, thank you Phil, for your input !!

SR

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Run a diagnostic on it (smartstart, memtest86, etc). Does it pass? Does it crash during this as well or only when you're in Windows?

Firmware update is probably good, did you install the proliant support pack?

Check iLO / IML log, windows event log and error leds.
smnragia
Occasional Advisor

I can't  run a diagnostic using smartstart, it will boot to desktop and then 'bang' ..it shuts down. I did a memory check when I boot on BIOS setup. It says:  DIMM 04  512MB - error detected. And now, after a few attemps to restart windows.. the machine will not boot. On the front panel.. the Internal health LED is Red in color.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK, try running without that DIMM then. Or maybe try to swap that DIMM with another one and see if the problem follows the DIMM.

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

Ok... i've done what you said, no changes. Still the same !!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Could you be a bit more descriptive?

Did you take out the DIMM in that slot and it still reports error on that slot?

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

sorry, yes I took out the RAMS on that DIMM and tried rebooting again but still not changes. So I removed all the RAMS including the system fans; about 8 of them, the 2 NVRAM, and the CPU's. Pressed the Reset Switch button and then put the hardwares back on.

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

OK , now the PC is back ON.. i've inserted the HP Insight Diagnostics CD-ROM and will run some test. Will let you know the outcomes!!

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

There you go... the PC shuts down again after running for 7-8 hours

the worst thing about it now;  it won't boot up again.

RED Light on the front panel..the one right on top. I guess that's external health led !!

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

ooppps... sorry it's Internal health LED that's blinking Red !

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You should be able to find out what is causing that internal health led to be lit.
If it isn't indicated outside the server, you have to boot up the machine with the casing opened, so that you can see the leds on the system board.

As for what to do when a server doesn't boot at all: run the server in minimal config (as few cpus, dimms, psus, etc) as possible.
smnragia
Occasional Advisor

Ok.. boot the Pc with the casing opened. Think I found the problem. The leds that are blinking  [amber] is DIMM 4B [RAM].

Another thing is the CPU Fan #2 & the tem Fan - no lights blinking at all, I'm starting to think it's dead.

Last but not least, the LED's for ULTRA SCSI port 1 HDD # 4 & port 2 HDD # 3 is blinking Red.

The front panel indicator Led is Amber in color [Internal Health]

smnragia
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, it's system Fan rather on my last comment !!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Are the fans not spinning? Did you check the service and maintenance guide for what the leds mean?

Try doing something about the memory problem first and then we can try to figure out the disk things.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Have you connected to iLO and looked at the data captured in the IML (Integrated Management Log)? That might help pinpoint your issues.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!