New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Riser card gets no power in its 10 pin plug

SOLVED
Go to solution
GeorgeABC
Visitor

HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Riser card gets no power in its 10 pin plug

hi guys,

i recently bought a Proliant 380p Gen 8 and installed a Nvidia Grid K2 card into its PCI-e riser card. but there's no power in the 10 pin riser card plug. i had to use another power supply from another PC to power the graphic card in order to have it function. the 10 pin to pci-e 6 pin+8pin cable was purchased on ebay. i'm not sure if that cable just provide 12 v power, or there's any regulatory connection in there, but when i test the 12 volts connection on the riser card with a multimeter, there was almost no voltage. can any of the HPE experts help?

thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Please refer to the QuickSpecs of this server:
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123238

NVIDIA GRID K2 Reverse Air Flow Dual GPU PCIe Graphics Accelerator
NOTE: This is supported with the Intel, E5-2600v2 processor series only.
NOTE: This card only runs at PCIeGen2 speeds.
NOTE: This is supported in the 728543-B21 riser in the secondary position (second processor required) or in the 752803-B21, primary position. Maximum 2 supported with both risers, support for 2 cards requires the 1200W PS to be selected.

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

GeorgeABC
Visitor

thank you so much

abtz
Occasional Visitor

I am also working with a DL380p Gen8 where I am trying to install a single Nvidia quadro K5000 in a card cage with 2 pcie x16 slots. When the server comes up, I get an error message on screen telling me plug in the pcie power cable for the GPU. This power cable is plugged in. When I measure power with a multimeter, I get 0 volts. I have two 1200w/110v power supplies installed and properly plugged in. I would be grateful for suggestions

Galvatron
Advisor

none of this worked.

DJ_DxM
Occasional Visitor

The connector at the back side of the riser card needs to be supplied with power via using the cable  HP P/N: 669777-B21

The riser card does not supply power to a card like a standard atx psu would via its 6 pin or 8 pin header cables.

funkimunky
Visitor

I know this is an old thread but do you know where I would connect the HPE 150W PCI-E Power Cable Kit (669777-B21) on the server. I can find anywhere I can get power out of the system board or the psu. Its racking my brain where to get extra power from. I have been thinking about using an external psu but there is no guarantee that it will stay at the same voltage level as the main psu.