108759 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Server not recognizing drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
chileboy
Occasional Advisor

HP ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Server not recognizing drives

I have a new HP ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Server, purchased from "a major online HP Authorized retailer".

When I bought it, I also purchased 2 SAS 300GB drives. which were listed under "Accessories". The server is also listed as compatible in the drive specifications. They are part number 737261-B21. The drives were shipped in HP SmartDrive carriers.

I have them inserted into bays 1 and 2. When the server is powered on, the indicator lights on the drive initially are green for a second, then go to yellow.

I get an error message at startup: 1785-Slot 0b Array Not Configured - No Drives Detected. When I go into the configuration utilities for the array, it also tells me there are no drives installed.

The server does recognizes the optical drive I installed cabled to SAT Port 4, if that means anything.

Am I missing something obvious? I haven't moved any of the cables inside the server, and the backplane for the drives is cabled to SATA Port 1. I checked all the connections, and everything is secure. I also this morning downloaded and flashed the latest BIOS.

Thanks very much for any advice.

- Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Server not recognizing drives

The embedded disk controller only supports SATA drives, you need one of the supported optional controllers for SAS support

Refere to standard features 'Storage Controller' on page 4 and optional SAS controllers on page 21 of the Quickspec

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/docDisplay?docId=c04447824

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
chileboy
Occasional Advisor

OK, I'm still confused. In the document you link to, the diagram shows two internal SAS connectors (number 5 on the diagram) on the system board, which my model has and is what the drives are connected to.

Are you saying I still need to install one of the PCIe controllers?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Thanks again.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The embedded B140i controller only supports SATA drives. The cables used to connect the drive backplane to the embedded or optional controllers use the mini-SAS connector

chileboy
Occasional Advisor

OK, I understand.

Just as a sanity check, would the combination of these suit my needs for a RAID 1 array  (as they are both in stock at my vendor):

• HP Smart Array P440/4GB FBWC 12Gb 1-port Int SAS Controller 726821-B21
  • HP DL60/120 Gen9 4LFF Smart Array P440 SAS Cable Kit 777382-B21

Thanks again, I appreciate your time!

- Mark

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@chileboy wrote:

OK, I understand.

Just as a sanity check, would the combination of these suit my needs for a RAID 1 array  (as they are both in stock at my vendor):

• HP Smart Array P440/4GB FBWC 12Gb 1-port Int SAS Controller 726821-B21
  • HP DL60/120 Gen9 4LFF Smart Array P440 SAS Cable Kit 777382-B21

Thanks again, I appreciate your time!

- Mark

Yes, that controller and cable are what the quickspec shows will work with the SAS drives you have for RAID 1.

chileboy
Occasional Advisor

Thank you!

- Mark

pwingert
Occasional Advisor

Did you hae to get the CPU1 riser card (765508-B21) to nstall the internal SAS controller?