New Discussion юеВ

HP ProLiant ML 110 G5 - Intel Matrix Storage Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fontana Veronique
Occasional Advisor

HP ProLiant ML 110 G5 - Intel Matrix Storage Console

Good morning everybody,

I'm looking at a software Intel Matrix Storage Console to view under Windows 2003 SBS my array.

I am using 2 SATA HDD of 500 Go on Raid and I am make the floppy disk to install SBS without any trouble.

I am visited the Intel Website and tryed 2 softwares Intel Matrix Storage for my chipset Intel ICH9 without success because when you install the software, new drivers are installed in the same time. On reboot, blue screen or impossible to boot.

The F8 issue to boot on the last good configuration let boot again and I can uninstall the software and is additionnal drivers.

From boot, it's all right and under Windows SBS desktop, the system works well.

But into the Control Manager, 2 yellow ! are present. I have installed all the drivers on the Easy Set-up CD (chipset, video, nic, and soon on ...) and I have looking at other drivers to solve the 2 ! into the Control Manager, but nothing.

Can you help me to find a software to manage on Windows SBS 2003 my RAID1 Array and fix the 2 ! on my control Manager ?

Thank you and have a good day !
12 REPLIES 12
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP ProLiant ML 110 G5 - Intel Matrix Storage Console

hi

have you tried these 2 drivers?

HP ProLiant 100 Series Servers Null Management INF Installer Smart Component for Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-b8943f6c78904e42a93d8e6848

HP NULL IPMI Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-364ad388ee7e4fb3a1511f5935тМй=en&cc=us&mode=3&

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Fontana Veronique
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

Thanks a lot ! It works (see attachement)
Now, the last thing :

I need a program to monitor my array under Windows 2003 SBS. I have tryed 2 versions of Intel Matrice Storage Console without success (crash on reboot, F8 to load the last good configuration).

I think it's important to see when one disk of my RAID1 is not ok (rebuild, synchronize, broked).

An idea or a link to find the good application ?

Thanks for the 2 yellows bangs !

Regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Fontana Veronique
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

You're great !

It works ans it's exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you very much !

It include a mail notification ! Very nice.

One question :

My actual strategy for my RAID1 is only 2 Hdds SATA and I have stocked a third identical disk (spare disk)if one of the 2 disk broke.

But I wonder what is the best choice :

Keep this spare disk outside the system (no use of it, no rotation) or include this disk into my system as a spare disk ?

If I include this third disk as a spare disk, does it make rotation without make nothing ?

This third disk start rotation only when one of the 2 members of my array broke ?

For the last, what about of impacts of internal temperature if this spare disk is into the system ?

Thank you very much one again !

bye !
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes you can assign a hot spare in case one of the HDDs in the RAID 1 fails the hot spare will automatically kick in taking the place for the failed HDD this automatic no manual intervention is needed so keep in inside the server not only that you must select it as hot spare in order to get this functionality

also it will kick in when one of the HDDs fail so if you got your 2 HDDs failed (weird situation) the spare won't work since it won't be source to recreate data

3. having 3 HDDs in the system won't affect temperature at all, ml110 g5 is able to support up to 4 HDDs and it's design to support those with not temp issues since the cooling design was created to support that

bye
Fontana Veronique
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for your reply. I have well understanded but one this is very important for me to know :

Is the spare disk works always ? (rotation of the hard drive all the time the system is running) or the rotation begin just as soon as one of one member of my RAID1 broke ?

It's important for me because what is the better :

- Having 3 disk (2 in RAID1) and one spare who have the same age or keep in stock the third disk that never works and stop the server as soon an alerting occurs and replace the bad disk by the spare ?

Your opinion about that ?

Thanks a lot !

bye !
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the spare HDD never stops it is waiting for HDD to fail but for sure the HDD is spinning all the time 24x7 or while server is up and running

of course it is just spinning but does not have data since it got the data when 1 HDD fails so the rebuild - parity calculation starts

regarding your second questions
well it's uap to you I mean it's much better to have the HDD in since even when you got email notification at 3:00 pm in the morning it's much better to know that I got a spare that will kick in as soon as 1 HDD fails instead of me going onsite to replaced that HDD... you know

bye
Fontana Veronique
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for your opinion.

Infact, I forgot to say you that this server stay in the same place that I live and the first idea is based on the mail alerting and stop immediatly the system to switch the bad disk by the spare disk in stock.

But if the server is outside and far, of course, a spare disk is the best solution because the rebuild is automatic. The mail alerting send just a mail to inform for the incident. I think that is the best for a customer server. Good idea !

Now, with your informations, the best for me is to put a spare disk in the system and purchase a fourth disk stocked if the spare disk must be used. It's this solution that I get choose for take advantage of automatic rebuild.

The SBS consultant says that's the best is to separate RAID1 system to RAID1 data, but in this scenario, 4 disk are used, 2 disks in RAID1 for system and 2 disks for Data for better performance to access into this data.

In this case, it's impossible to prepare spare disk because the maximum of disk is 4 into that server.

Thanks you for these precise information.

Have a nice week-end

Bye
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

glad to knwo my info helped you

next time don't forget assign some points