4647 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProLiant ML 150 G3 install windows 2003 with no floppy drive problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
xiufeng

HP ProLiant ML 150 G3 install windows 2003 with no floppy drive problems

How can I install windows 2003 on ProLiant ML 150 G3 with no floppy drive? I followed the steps HappyDude provided in this forum. Here is what I did.

1. Installed windows 2003 with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled on one Hard Disk.
2. Once OS is installed, extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers from the Manufacture's cd to a folder.
3. Installed Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the server, enabled the Embedded SATA RAID from BIOS.
5. Press F8, created Raid 1.
6. Rebuild.
7. once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid was detected. But windows couldn't boot up. "Operating system not found." I have searched this error solution, but I didn't. Is there anybody here could help me out? I have worked on this server installation for three days. Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello There !

I think the STEPS 2 & 3 you have mentioned is the SAME !!!!
Have you Added 2 Different RAID Drivers ? From Where ?

Alternatively, You may use nLITE software from www.nliteos.com to integrate this raid drivers with OS image. You also have a GUIDE on this website.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

:)
Reading it again, make sense.
How did you install the Drivers ?

Regards.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

check this long thread

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1172050

this answer or mini-manual

Hello HP / Unknown Devices Enthusiasts,

The following Guide will provide a solution to the issue's surrounding the "Unknown Devices" issue after using the nLite un-Attended install program (Without Internal or External Floppy drive available) & wishing to use utilize the Onboard Raid Controller for Raid-0 or Raid-1.

Step 1:
Save all information & files currently on your Proliant Server. My advice is to backup the files / folders on a blank media disk.

Step 2:
Restart your Proliant Server.

Step 3:
Press (F10) to enter the Proliant BIOS. Wait until you see "PheonixBIOS Setup Utility" located at the top of your screen.

Step 4:
Navigate to "Advance" using the arrow keys on your keyboard. Then navigate to "Advanced Chipset Control", Navigate down to "Serial ATA:" press "Enter" & select "Enable". Navigate down to "SATA Controller Mode Option:" and press "Enter" & switch from "Compatible" to "Enhanced". Navigate down to "SATA RAID Enable:" and press "Enter" and switch to "Enabled"

NOTE: The process tree should now look like this:

Main:
-> Advanced:
-> Advanced Chipset Control
-> Serial ATA:
-> SATA Controller Mode Option:
-> SATA RAID Enable:

Step 5:
Navigate to "Boot" and using the "-" & "+" buttons on your keyboard adjust all options to look like the following:

Boot:
-> CD-ROM Drive
-> +Hard Drive
-> Removable Devices
-> Embedded NIC1
-> Embedded NIC2

Press (F10) to Save & Exit, A Setup Confirmation will appear asking you:
"Save configuration changes and exit now?"
[Yes] [No] -> Select Yes and press "Enter"

Let the server reboot and when you see the option to press (F8) to enter Raid Configuration press (F8) and move to step 6.

Step 6:
You should now see "HP Embedded SATA Setup" on the top of your screen.

Navigate to "Array Configuration Utility" and press "Enter", you should now see "Main Menu" with options underneath. I will now demonstrate how to configure your hard drives to a Raid-1 configuration.

Navigate to "Configure Drives", press "Insert" on your keyboard after selecting the hard drives you wish to have in the Raid array. For example:

00 WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR4 69.2GB (Insert)
01 WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR4 69.2GB (Insert)

You will now see that the selected drives have been moved to the right hand side of your screen which reads "Selected Drives"

Commit yourself to your selection by pressing "Enter" and move to the next section.

You will now be back at the "Main Menu" screen. If not press "Esc" which will bring you the Main Menu screen.

Navigate to "Create Array" Select "Raid 1: Mirror" and press "Enter" then select "Quick Init" and press "Enter" Lable your raid anything you want and press "Enter" select "Exit" or "create" and then if your not back on the "Main Menu" screen press "Esc" to get back to this section.

Navigate to "Manage Arrays" and select the array you want in the "List of Arrays" Don't press "Enter" this will just show you a summary of your configuration. Instead do the following:

- Press (Ctrl + W) "Enable Write Cache" (Option)
- Press (Ctrl + B) "Mark Bootable Array" (Mandatory)

You will then see that your array is bootable indicated by "*" next to your array.

Press "Esc" to get to the "Main Menu" and press "Esc" to get to the "Options" and press "Esc" to get to the "Exit Screen" select Yes and press "Enter"

At this point, insert your disk with your custom Un-Attended OS on it by made by "Windows Unattended CD Creator" and wait until you see the usual "Press a key to enter Windows Setup" press a key when you see this and continue with a standard windows install, if you selected the option of an "Unattended setup" then you will not have to insert any information. Windows will do this for you.

When Windows has finished the installation you will then switch your boot priority from CD -> HDD to anything you want, the option used mainly would be "HDD - CD - Removable" etc. See Step 5 for further details.

Let windows boot up into the login screen, Login, Install any other drivers you have E.G Lan drivers and Chipset. You can then see that in your device manager that you have 0 Unknown Devices!

Congratulation, You are done! For further help please reply here in this thread, The thread will remain open for others to ask for additional help / advice from this wonderful community.

I hope this guide has simplified the conundrum of how to install an OS with a Raid 1 configuration without the use of a Floppy Drive.

At this point I would like to thank the following people for their continued help and advice:

Happy Dude
Adric
Karlo

Regards,

Carl Garside
CEO, Chairman
RackGaming Services
http://rackgaming.co.uk
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
xiufeng

Hi,
Thank you for all. I'm trying to set up as you suggested. I'm confused on using nLite CD to install OS. I have made an ISO image through nLite. Once I added this image file to the CD burner, sliced into CD-ROM, I still got the fail message "Operating System not found." I restarted the server, and checked the Hard Disk Configuration. There is no hard disk recognized. In this forum, everybody said there are two ways to install Windows 2003 on this ML 150 G3 server:
nLite software
HP floppy disk drive

Could you please expand "install Windows 2003 via nLite?" I could make an ISO image and burn this image to cd.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

have you followed the steps from that mini-manual?

just in case that guy used
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_Unattended_CD_Creator/1123777574/1

regards
xiufeng

Hi, Karlo,
I am sure I followed the mini_manual steps. I have got all the problems C.Garside got. Refer to the following link:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171393
I believe that once Create Array, the Hard Disks are swiped. So, I have to re-install OS. nLite can help avoid the F6 issue during re-installing. But why I can't make a bootable CD? Is there any trick I missed?

Regards

xiufeng
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
Have a look at the Image attached..
"Create Bootable ISO image" option has to be "CHECKED/Ticked" before you click NEXT button.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Srry, here it is !!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

check this I mean the attached file

you have to burn the CD, the ISO image using nero or any other software to burn iso images

doc file

regards