1753596 Members
6558 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

ed leibrick_2
Advisor

HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

Have a standard win2003 SBS ML150 G2 with a 2120S - three drives in a raid 5 config.
Using the standard scsi controller for the tape drive (72Gb dat)

The problem I have.
With updated drivers from adaptec, the server froze in the morning and at lunchtime. Tracked this down to when shadow copy was running. Rolled back the drivers and this stopped but now when I run backup (using ntbackup) the server freezes. Have to power off to get back in.

The bios on the card at boot states 5770 (27 oct 2002) I have tried to flash the card with updated bios from adatec but the flash doesnt work. I have tried to do the flash with the jumper on ( the flash clear) but that doesnt work either.

I am fast comming to the idea I have a faulty card, but wanted to check if anyone else has had problems with 2120s/flash/freezing under load ?

Ed.
22 REPLIES 22
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

Re: HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

further info.
3 x 37 Gb drive in raid 5.

The bios on the card says 5077 build. Adaptec bios is up to 8xxx. Cant flash card. Even with J6 on.

The symtom is - if shadow copy fires up ( 7am and 12pm) the system locks - no mouse, no KB etc.

I know there is a shadow copy patch, this fixed it a bit but still occurs.

Main part is - is the HP adaptec 2021s raid controller flashable ? Acording to adaptec, if I put jumper j6 on, the flash is cleared. This didnt happen. I have found various references that say you need bios 7xxx to use drivers.
Metadata
Valued Contributor

Hi ED,

Here is a link for the firmware for 2120S this is from the HP site so it should work

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=wk-21856-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

its firmware V7224

Tom
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

I will give this a try when I get some time on the box.
I will check with the local HP office first to make sure they have a spare card before I try to flash again.
The server is operational now - have shadow copy off.
Thanks

Ed.
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

I am afraid that firmware has the same problem.
Error 512 updating flash.
I assume that is the same error that the adaptec flash update is getting - I will have to ring HP and get a new card that can be flashed....
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ed,

There is an issue with a SCSI cable specific to the ML150G2 and using a 2120S adapter which can cause similar hangs/freezes.

The cable in question is marked 370763-002. It can cause the symptoms you have described. It needs to be replaced with 370763-003 which is HP spare part number 394596-001.

See advisory:-
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL050302_CW02

Your problem may still be the controller but you should also eliminate this issue too.

I hope this helps.

Brian

ed leibrick_2
Advisor

Checked the server - we have such a cable.

In the process of attempting to get a cable from HP.

I will report back when I get the cable in and running.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same issue. Have applied hotfix 833167 from MS, but still no joy will check the resolutions as described here when I get a chance.

Please update thread if you have success with SCSI cable change.
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

As an update: I will let you kow what happens after the site visit.

FROM HP.
The firmware for 2120 that you are trying to update is meant for workstations with the same card for windows 2000 Pro and XP only. It wouldn├в t work with servers.

As of now, there are no flash firmware updates for this controller for servers.

Our validation team does not think that the SCSI cable could definitely resolve the issue. It could be the 2120 also.

Coming to back to resolving the issue, we will send an engineer with the cable and the controller card to check out the status onsite.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Are yu having this performed under HP Warranty? Do you have a reference number i can point to if i call HP for a site visit