Re: HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Our config is as follows
2 x 146 GB Drives (RAID 1)
partitioned as 80GB/60GB

3 x 146 GB Drives (RAID 5)

Win SBS 2003 with all updates applied through windows update.
Windows Hotfix 833167
Volume Shadow Copy Service = enabled
freeze occurs during backup

we have not tested with any other system load, since the server will not be released for production until this issue can be resolved.

look forward to hearing about your site visit
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

This is in reference to case no. 2208208596 for HP Proliant ML150 G2 SCSI cable issue.

I have shadow copy turned off and the server is working fine including backup, though the open files are a problem.

We have 3 x 36 Gb drives in raid 5 - no other devices on that controller.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

what raid driver are you using for windows?
I downloaded the driver from HP website. It is v4.2.1.7372.

After reviewing the adaptec web site for the drivers for the 2120S, the notes say that this driver v4.2.1.7372 is only supported by BIOS/Firmware 7348 and above.

you have noted that you have firmware 5770 (as do we) on your server and cannot flash it to a higher version.

I have obtained version 4.0.5770 from adpatec website http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2120S&filekey=asr2120s_2200s_win2k3_drv_cert.exe

I have installed the drivers and successfully booted the machine, although i am reluctant to test the volume shadow copy until such time as someone can be on site to power off the machine if there is an issue. If you test before i have posted my results please let me know
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ed/Dameon,

I found this link to HP's OEM firmware for the 2120S. This is HP firmware 7244 Rev B.
Try this with Volume shadowing enabled to see if it resolves your problem.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=wk-36811-1

Please post your results if possible.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry,

Ignore my last reply as I've just read through other replies and noticed that this had already been suggested.

Brian
SandroA

Posting on behalf of DameonW.

I have successfully run a backup & volume shadow copy on our ML150 server. At this stage, it seems that our problem was fixed by downgrading the SCSI driver to V 4.0.5770.
Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Just confirming the server has now been up for nearly 2 weeks and regular backups occuring - volume shadow copy is enabled.

Ed
Have you had your site visit yet? If so what was the outcome?

We have also applied SP1 to W2K3SBS (which colud not be done before due to freeze issues on reboot)
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

Just left site with HP

We know what it isnt.
1. the cable
2. the card
3. the slot

HP are checking on the problem and will test and get back to me
Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Have you tried rolling back the SCSI driver to the supported version for the BIOS (as per previous post)?

"
I have obtained version 4.0.5770 from adpatec website http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2120S&filekey=asr2120s_2200s_win2k3_drv_cert.exe
"
ed leibrick_2
Advisor

No I haven't. I dont think it is a solution if I have to make sure I run an old driver which may be overwritten by a later version in a possible future update.
I would expect hp to provide a card firmware update or a card that works.
Hp will test and get back to me.