ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

Have a standard win2003 SBS ML150 G2 with a 2120S - three drives in a raid 5 config.
Using the standard scsi controller for the tape drive (72Gb dat)

The problem I have.
With updated drivers from adaptec, the server froze in the morning and at lunchtime. Tracked this down to when shadow copy was running. Rolled back the drivers and this stopped but now when I run backup (using ntbackup) the server freezes. Have to power off to get back in.

The bios on the card at boot states 5770 (27 oct 2002) I have tried to flash the card with updated bios from adatec but the flash doesnt work. I have tried to do the flash with the jumper on ( the flash clear) but that doesnt work either.

I am fast comming to the idea I have a faulty card, but wanted to check if anyone else has had problems with 2120s/flash/freezing under load ?

Ed.
22 REPLIES

Re: HP ProLiant ML150 G2 SCSI RAID 2120S - Freezing

further info.
3 x 37 Gb drive in raid 5.

The bios on the card says 5077 build. Adaptec bios is up to 8xxx. Cant flash card. Even with J6 on.

The symtom is - if shadow copy fires up ( 7am and 12pm) the system locks - no mouse, no KB etc.

I know there is a shadow copy patch, this fixed it a bit but still occurs.

Main part is - is the HP adaptec 2021s raid controller flashable ? Acording to adaptec, if I put jumper j6 on, the flash is cleared. This didnt happen. I have found various references that say you need bios 7xxx to use drivers.
Metadata
Valued Contributor

Hi ED,

Here is a link for the firmware for 2120S this is from the HP site so it should work

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=wk-21856-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

its firmware V7224

Tom

I will give this a try when I get some time on the box.
I will check with the local HP office first to make sure they have a spare card before I try to flash again.
The server is operational now - have shadow copy off.
Thanks

Ed.

I am afraid that firmware has the same problem.
Error 512 updating flash.
I assume that is the same error that the adaptec flash update is getting - I will have to ring HP and get a new card that can be flashed....
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ed,

There is an issue with a SCSI cable specific to the ML150G2 and using a 2120S adapter which can cause similar hangs/freezes.

The cable in question is marked 370763-002. It can cause the symptoms you have described. It needs to be replaced with 370763-003 which is HP spare part number 394596-001.

See advisory:-
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL050302_CW02

Your problem may still be the controller but you should also eliminate this issue too.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Checked the server - we have such a cable.

In the process of attempting to get a cable from HP.

I will report back when I get the cable in and running.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same issue. Have applied hotfix 833167 from MS, but still no joy will check the resolutions as described here when I get a chance.

Please update thread if you have success with SCSI cable change.

As an update: I will let you kow what happens after the site visit.

FROM HP.
The firmware for 2120 that you are trying to update is meant for workstations with the same card for windows 2000 Pro and XP only. It wouldnâ t work with servers.

As of now, there are no flash firmware updates for this controller for servers.

Our validation team does not think that the SCSI cable could definitely resolve the issue. It could be the 2120 also.

Coming to back to resolving the issue, we will send an engineer with the cable and the controller card to check out the status onsite.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Are yu having this performed under HP Warranty? Do you have a reference number i can point to if i call HP for a site visit
Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Our config is as follows
2 x 146 GB Drives (RAID 1)
partitioned as 80GB/60GB

3 x 146 GB Drives (RAID 5)

Win SBS 2003 with all updates applied through windows update.
Windows Hotfix 833167
Volume Shadow Copy Service = enabled
freeze occurs during backup

we have not tested with any other system load, since the server will not be released for production until this issue can be resolved.

look forward to hearing about your site visit

This is in reference to case no. 2208208596 for HP Proliant ML150 G2 SCSI cable issue.

I have shadow copy turned off and the server is working fine including backup, though the open files are a problem.

We have 3 x 36 Gb drives in raid 5 - no other devices on that controller.

Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

what raid driver are you using for windows?
I downloaded the driver from HP website. It is v4.2.1.7372.

After reviewing the adaptec web site for the drivers for the 2120S, the notes say that this driver v4.2.1.7372 is only supported by BIOS/Firmware 7348 and above.

you have noted that you have firmware 5770 (as do we) on your server and cannot flash it to a higher version.

I have obtained version 4.0.5770 from adpatec website http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2120S&filekey=asr2120s_2200s_win2k3_drv_cert.exe

I have installed the drivers and successfully booted the machine, although i am reluctant to test the volume shadow copy until such time as someone can be on site to power off the machine if there is an issue. If you test before i have posted my results please let me know
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ed/Dameon,

I found this link to HP's OEM firmware for the 2120S. This is HP firmware 7244 Rev B.
Try this with Volume shadowing enabled to see if it resolves your problem.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=wk-36811-1

Please post your results if possible.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry,

Ignore my last reply as I've just read through other replies and noticed that this had already been suggested.

Brian
SandroA
Occasional Visitor

Posting on behalf of DameonW.

I have successfully run a backup & volume shadow copy on our ML150 server. At this stage, it seems that our problem was fixed by downgrading the SCSI driver to V 4.0.5770.
Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Just confirming the server has now been up for nearly 2 weeks and regular backups occuring - volume shadow copy is enabled.

Ed
Have you had your site visit yet? If so what was the outcome?

We have also applied SP1 to W2K3SBS (which colud not be done before due to freeze issues on reboot)

Just left site with HP

We know what it isnt.
1. the cable
2. the card
3. the slot

HP are checking on the problem and will test and get back to me
Dameon W
Occasional Advisor

Have you tried rolling back the SCSI driver to the supported version for the BIOS (as per previous post)?

"
I have obtained version 4.0.5770 from adpatec website http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2120S&filekey=asr2120s_2200s_win2k3_drv_cert.exe
"

No I haven't. I dont think it is a solution if I have to make sure I run an old driver which may be overwritten by a later version in a possible future update.
I would expect hp to provide a card firmware update or a card that works.
Hp will test and get back to me.

Solution:

The Hp tech got a server and put in the same kit. Updated the drivers. Froze on shadow copy.
He updated the flash to adaptecs version, put the new hp drivers on - all works.

He sent me the flash version he had - I tried to update my card - error on flash update.

So it looks like all you need to do is update the flash bios on the card with the lastest and greatest from apaptec. The you can use the right drivers with no problems.

it seems I have a faulty card in that it will not flash update. The tech is going to replace the card with his updated version.

I will report back when that is done for the final word on this problem.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
Ed.

The Hp tech replaced the card and all is well.

Final solution appears to be upgrade the firmware and driver. If you cant upgrade firmware get the card replaced.
WBOESE21
Occasional Visitor

I purchased same configuration in January of 06 for client. This configuration caused numerous problems including having to reload exchange server 4 times. This cost both my company and client thousands of dollars. The fact that there was no resolution until May of 06. and that I had to find fix on obscure message board after calling HP support numerous times (NEVER ONCE GETTING SOMEONE FROM THE UNITED STATES) is the main reason I am never using HP as vendor for any client or my own company again. I'm posting this on the message board because I want to convey the horror that can happen to other IT consulting companies who trust HP as I one at one time did. I lost the client, and the 25k a year business that I did with this client. I have never heard back from the numerous times I have tried calling HP about some kind of restitution or even to acknowledge this was their fault. I hope people read this and understand what this thread conveys.
THANK YOU.
Wayne Boese
IT DIRECTOR
SELDEN FOX, LTD
619 ENTERPRISE DRIVE,
OAK BROOK, IL 60523