ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748052 Members
5084 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant ML150 G5 does not see the RAID1 drives from Seagate Constellation ® ES 2TB SATA3

Mugivara
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant ML150 G5 does not see the RAID1 drives from Seagate Constellation ® ES 2TB SATA3

Hi, please help, I'm from Russia.
I have a HP ProLiant ML150 G5, it is a RAID 1 hard drives SAS, it is worthwhile for Windows Server 2003R2
I want to put another RAID 1 HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller Driver. Using Seagate Constellation ® ES 2TB SATA3. The following instructions:

1. Boot the server, and then press F10 to enter the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU).
2. Go to the Advanced tab.
3. Enter the Advance Chipset Control.
4. Set up the SATA as Enable and the SATA RAID as Enable.
5. Press F10, Save and Exit.
6. Reboot the server.
7. During post, f8 will now show up for the embedded SATA setup.
Creating the RAID volume:
1. Enter the Array Configuration Utility.
2. Enter Create array.
3. Create the raid volume. Select the Hard Drives.
4. Choose RAID 1, and enter Array Label, Create RAID Via as Quick Init.
5. Exit the SATA setup.
Reboot the computer, but the OS does not see the created RAID.
Tried to install on the newly created RAID Windows Server 2003, load the driver from the official site

But the system during installation issues a "Not found any hard disk."
Prompt in what could be the problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant ML150 G5 does not see the RAID1 drives from Seagate Constellation ® ES 2TB SATA3

Hi,

do you have 2 configured RAID 1 currently ? What verions server ROM BIOS ?

BR, Oleg.

Mugivara
Occasional Visitor

BIOS Version: 2010.10.25 (8 Dec 2010)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580609&swItem=MTX-26b19f16ea8143618601381cfe&prodNameId=3580646&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

BMC Firmware Version final

At the moment, is worth two RAID 1:
1) HP Smart Array E200 SAS two hard drives on the 80Gb, which is the operating system.
2) HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller SATA 3 Seagate Constellation ® ES 2 to 2 TB - here it is and the operating system does not see a HP Starage Manager shows that the logical drive not found, and the Create button is not active.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

From what I can tell looking at the quickspecs, only one controller can be connected to the drive cage, so you cannot use the E200 and the embedded controller at the same time unless you add the optional drive cage.  The E200 is a SAS controller, but the product page states it also supports SATA drives. I don't know if the E200 will support the 2TB SATA drives you have, but run the E200 Array Configuration Utility and see if the E200 will configure the drives.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Mugivara
Occasional Visitor

I hooked up instead of 2TB -> WD 750GB, RAID 1 of them is working and visible in the system. What's the problem with displaying it in the hard drive 2TB.

Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

If 750TB drive work but 2TB not it means this drive not supported. You have latest ROM BIOS version so using 2TB with embedded SATA RAID controller is impossible. You can use 2TB drive with Smart Array controller only.

BR, Oleg.

Antilopa

I believe I have the same issue with Constellation ES 500GB.

The ROM (textmode) utility configures RAID 1 just fine, but in windows, HP Storage Manager finds 0 drives.

Why? 

Antilopa

Okey the Constellation drives do not get detected in HP Storage Manager at all - in RAID1, RAID0 nor JBOD mode. Other drives of the same capacity - RE3, RE2-GP, get detected well. What's the problem in detecting Constellations when textmode ROM utility does it just fine?

For testing purposes I mixed a RE3 and a Constellation in RAID1. In textmode utility - both drives are detected and raid looks well, under windows - only the RE3 gets detected and raid status is Degraded.