Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProLiant ML150 Gen. 9 and LTO-3 Ultrium 920 drive

Jordy_Eurotempe
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant ML150 Gen. 9 and LTO-3 Ultrium 920 drive

Hello everyone,

I have  a question, our company is going to buy a new server soon, the HP ProLiant ML150 Gen. 9. We did use a LTO-3 Ultrium 920 drive on old server.

Does anyone know if the LTO-3 Ultrium 920 drive is compatible with the HP ProLiant ML150 Gen. 9 we'd would like to order?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jordy van der Schoot

1 REPLY
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: HP ProLiant ML150 Gen. 9 and LTO-3 Ultrium 920 drive

This would be trial and error I'm afraid. The age difference is just too great where these two products would be designed to work together. You didn't say if your old drive was internal or external. If external, you need to get a PCIe SCSI 320 LVD card for the Gen9. It would need to be an after market card I believe. If internal, you would need the same but might also need some power supply adapter cables.

LTO retains read compatibility with two prior generations with and write compatibility with one prior generation. A review of the ML150 QuickSpecs https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04447843.pdf indicates that LTO 4 and LTO 5 drives are standard available options on this server so you may be better off purchasing one of these. The LTO 5 drive could read your LTO 3 tapes (for restore purposes) or the LTO 4 drive could actually still write to them. 

So, it really depends how inexpensive you want this to be and whether you want to move to a newer LTO standard at the same time. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.