1753563 Members
6032 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant ML330 G6 - Storage Upgrade

rmculver
Occasional Visitor

HP ProLiant ML330 G6 - Storage Upgrade

Hope you can help. A client of mine has the HP server mentioned above.

The server is running out of hard drive space but only has a 250GB hard drive to held data files and Microsoft exchange.

There are 2x 250GB drives installed which I feel must be running in RAID.

I have purchased a single 1TB hot swapped drive, but when inserted does not appear under disk management within windows.

Just need the single drive to detect to move file across to free some space.

Do I need to go into a setup utility to enable this drive.?

Your help is much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

If the server is having Non hot plug SATA model HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller, then it will not detect the hard drives inserted hot-plug.  The way would be to restart the server and add the new hard drive as part of the RAID array and then boot into the operating system. 

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

rmculver
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your help so far.

How do i add the hard drive as a part of the raid array without deleting any of the existing data on the 250GB HD.

How would I add this 1TB drive as a separate drive letter.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

Before proceeding, take a valid backup!!!

Reboot the server and press the F8 function key when the Smart Array Controller is initialized to run Option ROM Configuration for Arrays (ORCA). Use the Edit/Modify Logical drive to add the hard drive.

Once the new hard drive becomes part of the array, storage space is made available, but data will be written across all the installed drives based on the RAID level configured and only in the newly installed hard drive. If such behaviour is not required, then the server has to be rebuilt to put the controller to AHCI mode and then this functionality would be achieved.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

rmculver
Occasional Visitor

Which software do you recommend to do a full backup? Is true image suitable?

To make it a part of the same RAID is fine, as this would then increase the space from 250GB (main objective).

Would installing a single 1TB drive along with 2x 250GB cause compatibility issues and would the existing setup be wiped when new drive is added?

Sorry if these are silly questions. Never done one of these before.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

Adding another drive to an existing RAID does not remove the current configuration. But before proceeding, ensure that there is backup and a downtime on the server be notified in case a situation arises to re-install and restore date.

The speed of the array would be at speed of the hard drive which has the lowest speed. Ensure that the hard drive being installed is that listed in supported options. Do not mix SAS and SATA drives in the same array, though different arrays can be configured containing SAS and SATA drives separately and the operating system would see different logical drives.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

rmculver
Occasional Visitor

Thanks again for the quick response.

The drives currently installed are : -

571516-001

571516-001

New drive is: -

454273-001

Are these comptible?

Which software do you recommend for an image backup?

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi

Both the existing and new drives speed show to be the same and there appears no other indication of issue. Backup software is not my speciality and hence I am not able to comment about one. Having said that, you may try HP Data Protector. Here is its QuickSpecs and here for more information.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo