1753460 Members
4589 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant ML350 G4 - Installation Issues

deanfourie

HP ProLiant ML350 G4 - Installation Issues

Hi, Hopefully someone can help me :smileyhappy:

Firstly, im trying to install windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have found that the issues i am facing are big with windows 7 too.

I have a HP ProLiant ML350 G4 tower, 2GB RAM and upgraded to 4GB when bought. PCI RAID controller and CDROM, FLOPPY drives. I have removed the FLOPPY drive and replace the CDROM drive with a DVD-RW drive.

So, usually i install windows using USB, ive never really faced any real issues doing it this way, however on this paticular maching i am receiving an error when booting which just displays a "J" and goes no further.

I have tried formatting the USB drive in filesystems FAT16LBA FAT16CHS FAT32LBA FAT32CHS all with no luck. Searched around and came to the conclusion this was boot image related....

so, as a result i turned to the DVD drive, copied the installation media to a DVD-RW and also tried a DVD-R (at 4x write speed). However i am now facing another rather annoying problem

Im getting stuck on "Expanding windows files 0%). Sometimes it moves to 1 and 2 but it takes AGES. I have tired removing RAM, tried different DIMM configuration, removed all hardware such as NICs, FLOPPY and even PCI RAID controller to no avail. I have tried resetting the CMOS, disabled hyper-threading in the BIOS etc with no luck.

Now, i dont even get that far, i now get stuck at the initial startup screen when windows is loading the setup "copying files" hangs and goes no further. Took all RAM out except for 1 stick (1GB), no luck. Tired different SCSI drives in different slots, no luck.

So, where to from here? i spent my WHOLE saturday on this and will do the same thing tommorow until i can sort it. ANY ideas?

Even for the USB install?

Thanks for taking the time read guys!

1 REPLY 1
Priyansha
Valued Contributor

Re: HP ProLiant ML350 G4 - Installation Issues

Hi,

You may  try the following steps:
1) Boot the Server with OS CD.
2) when you get "Install Now" screen connect the USB Drive (with the latest Disk controller drivers in it).
3) Install drivers and before selecting Disk for installation, disconnect the USB Drive.
4) Start the installation.

Thank you,
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/?language=en_US