1752812 Members
5759 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant ML350 G6 won't power on

Tim_Allen
Frequent Visitor

HP ProLiant ML350 G6 won't power on

I pulled a couple of ML350's out of storage for a training lab, and to my chagrin only one boots. When I plug the good ML350 in, the NIC light flickers green briefly and it powers up normally. When I plug the bad ML350 in, the NIC light does not flicker at all. Instead both the rear and front UID lights turn solid blue. Pressing the UID and/or power button does not change this. The fans do not spin up and there is no video.

My initial thought was that the PSU was bad, so I swapped PSUs (bad to good and good to bad) and outlets on my power strip (just in case I had a bad outlet). This did not change things either. The issue did not follow the PSU, so I can rule out a bad PSU. I then pulled the motherboard tray out of the bad server, reseated all my cables, and looked for any glaring issues on the power distribution board under the mobo tray (eg, bulging capacitors or cracked components). I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

My final step was to remove the ram, raid array, and dvd drive. No change.

In the searching I've done I see mentions of some ProLiant models having a system health LED on the motherboard. I do not see any lights on the motherboard at all.

I am not able to connect to iLO. I've never done it before so it is possible I'm doing it wrong, but I know the DNS name and followed these steps.

Anyone see anything I'm missing? Does anyone know a way I can narrow this down further to determine if its the motherboard, PD board, or something else that has gone bad and needs to be replaced? The machine is out of warranty, and I'm not sure my boss will want to throw a bunch of money at it.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Check this link for indicators on the system board.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01726637

Check this link for Minimum Hardware Configuration for Troubleshooting.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03212774

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Tim_Allen
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much Suman!! That is exactly teh documentation I had been looking for! :)

Tim_Allen
Frequent Visitor

Using Suman's documentation, I was able to narrow the issue to the power distribution board.