108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ProLiant Opteron 1210 or Xeon 3040

Kosmic

HP ProLiant Opteron 1210 or Xeon 3040

I want to buy a server but I can't decide which one to go for. Options are
1. ML110 G4 Xeon 3040 [432535-035]
2. ML115 Opteron 1210 [445847-035]

I'm going to use it for home server/testing/learning purposes now. But I'll be running it as web server. Which processor is better, can't find any benchmark for the particular processors.

Both are discontinued according to HP's website. But some sellers on the internet are showing 3 yrs warranty with them.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: HP ProLiant Opteron 1210 or Xeon 3040

Kosmic,
of all the questions to ask:), you have to asked one that divides two camps by opinion and fact. Response to your question will vary from floating point benefits to direct connect architecture. My own humble opinion is, it doesn├в t make a big difference. What will make a difference is ram, hard drive performance and network connection. I work in a large data center. I wont say the name but they recently lost a big tanker contract wink wink, and I see all sorts of servers from Intel, AMD and others. most eserver is severely under utilized . so I say Stats be dammed, go for the most bang for the buck get more ram a bigger hard drive and a better connection with what is left. Remember you will get better performance also if you take the time to plan you OS installation and requirements. In the server world, planning will save many hours of troubleshooting.

Now that I have completely not answered your question, which side of the fence are you going to be on AMD or Intel?

Hope this helps.
Kosmic

It's just the fact that I've never used AMD processors. But what I've found on the Internet Opteron are not second to Intel.

But AMD Opteron is around ├В┬г111, and with free double memory from HP I think I'm gonna get this one. Thanks for your advice.
Alan Cornwall

Kosmic, I am looking to buy a server and like you, have come up with the ML115 Opteron 1210 [445847-035]. If you have bought it, can I ask a couple of questions:-
Am I right in thinking no SATA data cables are supplied as standard?
Are there 4 SATA power cables as standard on the power unit?
And finally, are you happy with it, was installing O/S tolerable or nightmare?
Many Thanks
Alan.
Kosmic

I have not made the purchase yet, but I'm sure it comes with 4 SATA power supply.
Check this link, on pdf search for "Cable connections".

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00907770/c00907770.pdf

I'm not sure about SATA cables, but while I was searching I read people saying how they had to buy additional SATA cables.

This is same as the ML115 except it's got Xeon 3040 processor. You can read comments here:
[http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128282/show_product_reviews]

Windows Server 2003 installation on these are easy. You can also buy Windows Server 2003 OEM (BIOS locked for HP servers) pretty cheap.