1748342 Members
4924 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant 150ML G5 SBS 2008 setup problem

Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant 150ML G5 SBS 2008 setup problem

I am having problems installing SBS 2008 Standard on HP ProLiant 150 ML G5 server. The installation goes ok to some point then the server freezes and the System Health Status LED starts blinking. This has happened for the second time now. At last attempt it happened near the end of Expending and installing files. On the motherboard the LED11 is also red.
Anyone has any idea what might be wrong? I have two SATA disks, RAID 1..
94 REPLIES 94
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

- try clear CMOS
- also update system ROM

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

Hey Karlo!

I have cleared CMOS (I pressed the Clear CMOS button many times and held it one pressed for 15 seconds - is it ok so?)

I have also updated the system ROM with the one from HP website.

I still get the same error. I have now partily installed Windows 2008, I can log onto system and the server freezes after say 15 minutes..

I have LSI SAS4302E-HP RAID controller. On the back of the card there are two LEDs, and when the error occures, one led turns from green to orange. The led is then some time blinking, or just orange. I haven't noticed this before..

I cannot find any firmware update for this card.. or even manual what the LED means..

Please help, getting frustrated here..
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well this one does not mention W2008 but you can try install it

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&swItem=MTX-86ea6c7f49db4e82a0fb1b5dc8&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

also if there is another slot available for that PCI card you can try swap it
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

I have already installed this update - no change. I tried to install Server 2008 Standard and the server froze at the beginning while formatting C: drive for installation..

Yesterday I removed the RAID adapter and installed SBS 2008 directly on one disk connected to SATA1 port - no problems! So there is definitely problem with this RAID adapter. I will try today another installation and move adapter to another port like you are suggesting.

I am so disappointed over HP right now.. one would not expect such problems with HP servers..
Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

Today I have installed Server 2008 Standard - no problems, it was running whole night and day..

So it seems like compatibility issue? Any suggestions?
Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

I have tried again and actually succeded - I have installed SBS 2008 with this LSI-3042 RAID controller (I also switched psie ports).

I was almost celebrating.. but then the server froze again.. lights on disks were green for 10 seconds, mouse wouldnt move .. then the red light started blinking again..
Gregory Stoutenburg

It appears I am having the exact same or very similar problem. I have an ML150 G5 with an HP (LSI) SC40Ge 4-port SAS hba connected to 1 15K SAS drive. I have already installed Win2008 x64, but I am experiencing random freezes after it is booted (often within 5-10 minutes). My symptoms are identical- the hba is flashing orange and LED11 on the motherboard is red. What does this LED mean? Have you found a solution?
Alesh77
Occasional Advisor

Hey Gregory,
yes I have found a solution - I changed the RAID controler - I have installed e200 and it is working fine ever since.
It is definitly something wrong with SC40Ge controler, two other guys here have same problems like you (both have SAS disks) - their servers also freeze. Try to format a drive if you can - my server froze in 10 seconds..
I have opened a case with HP, they have contacted me and asked me to run some diagnostics tool and send them the report. Now I am waiting for their reply.
sp_server

For me the same problem , i can install but next day i have red blinking light and server is stopped(dead).
Servers was working with sbs2003 without problems for one week.
It has done this every day