New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL 140 G3 - 2 Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

HP Proliant DL 140 G3 - 2 Problems

Hello HP Users,

Today I used a program called Nlite to create a customised Windows 2003 Standard OS which was made to be an unattended installation.

However even though everything went smoothly through the instalation of the OS I came across 4 "Unknown Devices" when viewing the system hardware & devices.

I reverted back to the original Win2k3 CD for the system to check for the drivers there however was unsucesfull.

I then thought, Maybe it was a Raid driver issue. So I downloaded the windows exe driver for the emeded raid controler which comes with the DL140 again this did not resolve the issue.

I am at a loss with what to do, So I decided that I should do a FULL system format and OS reinstallation from the Original Windows 2003 CD's. However this is were my other issue comes into place. When I came to the first screen of the setup process the system reported that it could not find any harddrives to install the OS on even though the Bios and Raid Bios see's 2x Raptor Drives in a Raid 0 configuration.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this?

Also some advice on an option in the Raid Bios would be great. I came across an option called "Write Cache" which is default disabled but wondering what this does and should I turn it on?

If anyone could help with the 2 issues listed above and an answer to the Write Cache I would be very greatful.

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Carl,
How are you ?

1) Could post those 4 "Unknown Devices" ? What were they ?

2) Manual installation of OS will not find HDD as it requires the SATA Drivers from the following link:

You can store it on a USB Floppy Disk; & while installing the OS... the information TAB below will state "PRESS F6 if you need to install drivers for 3rd party hardware"; Press F6 & Provide the SATA drivers; Recomendation is HP USB FDD;

3) Enabling Write cache will only Enhance the performance of the HDD(to some extent) & has nothing to do with this issue.

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Carl,
This is in regards to the Other Query you had(you closed the thread) ;)
416348-001 Processor heat sink
This is indeed the correct part;

Goto:
http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

Select Server > Proliant DL > DL140 G3 > then on the Right Hand Side, Select FRU;
On the new window select "Processor/Heatsink"
(wait for Video to load, will be slow at times)

Isnt this the same type of heatsink you have ?

James
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hey James,

Im good how are you? Must have missed you on MSN.

Im not sure how but before I noticed the above issues I was able to do a full OS install first time round hense I was able to find the "Unknown Devices" which is strage because nothing has changed and yet the OS says no HDD's.

Im currently performming a FULL format of HD0 which is taking forver (2 hours for 46%) however I am unable to perform a quick NTFS format due to not being able to process on to that section of the setup due to the issue stated above, Again im stuck for an answer as nothing has changed since the first OS install and first attempt of re-install.

The "Unknown Device" was unable to give me much information other than it was stated as "Other" under the list of hardware. Im sorry but im unable to give a more acurate response to your question.

As I said above I do not currently have a floppy drive or USB floppy device that will allow me to insert an F6 driver on setup.

Finally in your opinion should I turn on the write cache as it's criteria is for performance and that of which I require out of this server? My purpose for the server is hosting of game servers for my company.

Thank You.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Oh great! Thank you very much for this!

Any idea were I can purchase this part cheaply? Or would you advise a different strategy? I still have the right for a full refund from ebuyer.com.

Thank You!
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Oh forgot to mention a response to yoru question regarding the heatsink,

The heatsink used is indeed the corrcet one I should have for installing the processor and is also the same exact one as of the default heatsink which is installed now which came with the server.

However the extra CPU and heatsink I have is not the one listed on the video, The metal bullbarings are much thicker and longer in legnth on the extra heatsink I have here.

You can find the correct heatsink I need by viewing the P/N I provided you with yesturday.

Thank You.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi C.Garside

you created a "customized Windows 2003" to avoid the issue you are facing right now "HDD not detected during Windows installation"

so I recommend you to install again W2003 using the nlite CD that you created and after that install for the drivers.

HP ProLiant DL140 G3 Software Support CD

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26640.html

and regarding "Write Cache" that is only supported for some Smart Array controllers or within Windows when you click on any HDD
-> Hardware
-> Properties

http://www.accucadd.com/TechNotes/Cache/WriteBehindCache.htm

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Oh I see, Since the First install was ok, except for the Unknown devices, you shouldn't have reinstalled it so soon carl ;)
Lets just wait until this format is over;

Ebuyer may have the parts; Recommended : HP sales ;)

The Part # you provided yesterday is the same one carl; I am not sure, why is this modification done.

You may turn on the Write Cache option; No issues.

Regards,
James.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

I am going to stick to my current plan, Attempt to reinstall OS with original W2k3 CD.

I will enable Write Cache.

The cd recommended for download is the same one I have right next to me am sure which came with the server. This is called:

HP Proliant Dl140 G3 Support & Documentation CD, Bootable Diagnostic Utility, Includes Drivers & configuration files. Version 3.00

Thank You.