Re: HP Proliant DL140 G3 - Unknown Devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

forget what I say about nlite

I got it your friend says that would be the processors, right?

Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor E5310 (1.60 GHz, 80 W, 1066MHz FSB)

OK let's see his from Microsoft point of view,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327756

- The device does not have the correct device driver installed.
- The device is using device drivers from a different version of Microsoft Windows.
- The Device ID is not recognized.
- The hardware or firmware is damaged.

so download the System ROM and apply it
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27808.html

and also read all the document

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry Garside, I don't have an MSN/Hotmail ID. I do have a Yahoo ID though.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Nice!

Okey Karlo I think you found something that I missed when browsing the HP site. Well done m8 and thanks.

Ok So what i'll do now then is keep raid anabled on raid 1 and do a setup from the Nlite CD.

Remember this method removes the procesors from the device managers pane and names them as "Unknown Devices" 4 times = 4 cores.

Lets see what happends.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Got skype at all ?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

:D Sorry no. But here's what you could try:

Unfortunately, the recommended way to setup the 100 series server is to use a USB floppy drive (DC361B) to load the RAID drivers. Is it possible for you to try installing that way & see if the drivers for the CPU get installed correctly?

The other thing that can be tried is: disable RAID, install Windows, it will not ask you for the RAID drivers at F6.

The point is to see if the standard Windows install media makes any difference.
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hey adric,

The problem with your first suggestion is as I noted way above in my first thread was that I do not have a floppy of any sort, Internal or External. I can't order from the HP site as they don't accept my card (Solo Card) so I went and bought a USB flash drive hoping I could mimic the drive as A: and make the system belive that its the A: Drive, However Ive been trying this method many ways now for 2 hours and so far nothing.

Your second sugestion is correct, Disabeling raid and installing OS using "Official W2K3 CD" the system will list all 4 processors in the device pane with 0 unknown devices preasent.

However when I enable Raid and use the Nlite CD to install OS (This is because Nlite auto loads the Raid Drivers as I have told it to) the OS installs succesfully however 4 unknown devices apear and thus the "processors" in the device pane are not listed instead they are listed as "Unknown"

So therfore right now I am going through this same process (Nlite Method" but then Im going to try karlo's method of installing this firmware update .exe program which is supported only for my server "DL140G3" and is meant to update the system with latest Xeon CPU's.

Because you don't have msn or skype what I will do is ask for your email address. I will then send you a link which allows you to remote into my server live and control it. You will see what is happening and maybe you can find a way of fixing this issue if Karlos method does not work.

So can you email me your email address and I will send you the guest invite link as soon as I have the OS installed.

FYI the link is generated by a program called "Logmein" google to find out. But basically it allow syou to remote into any pc in the world (With access) using your browser :)

Thank You.

P.S Sorry for long reply.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Sure, my email address is: sesh19{at}gmail{dot}com

If the standard Windows media install installs the drivers then there is no issue with the hardware. The only two options left out, would be:

As noted in my previous post, you may buy a USB floppy drive DC361B from one of your resellers and setup Windows with RAID drivers in a FDD.

Or, setup Windows without RAID and try the following (theoretically it should work).

Install Windows without RAID configuration:
Once Windows is installed, install the drivers for the RAID controller from: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6264.html#10

Reboot the server and get into SATA RAID configuration tool during POST, select the option to Create Array -> RAID 0/1.

Selecting RAID 1 should throw up a warning about data loss (again handy to have a valid backup). Press Y to continue. If all goes well, you would be asked for the source drive. Select the drive on which windows is installed, and press enter, Y if the warning comes up again. The rebuild will take some time.

Again if all goes well, after the reboot the new logical drive should be recognized & boot to Windows. New hardware wizard will now install the drivers for the RAID controller.

It's worth a try, if it doesn't work, the only option we would have is to load the drivers from the USB FDD
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

dont forget read carefully this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327756

specially the safe mode recommendation a good article

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
C.Garside
Frequent Advisor

Hey Guys,

Ok Karlo,

Your method has not worked, Infact the whole thing is worthless.

I followed instructions exactly as writen both on the .html and also .txt files. I formated the USB stick using the tool they provided it also partitioned the drive as it said it would. I then retsarted the system, F10 -> boot -> 1. Removeable Devices 2. HDDs

Restarted system, It then booted from USB and it cameup with the following:

Starting Caldera DR-DOS

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
Copyright blablabla

Command or filename not recognized
C:\>

Thanks for the idea though but what ever the programers done to this firmware update it simply does not operate as it should.

Thank You.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

In most occassions, NLite works fine. I personally never recommend it because if it doesn't work, not everybody has a clue about how to get it right (atleast not me). My answer at the outset would have been, use the USB floppy drive. It would definitely set the expectations right, and save a lot of frustration.

If that's not possible try the other method as mentioned in my previous POST. Just worth a try, if it works, great!

If it doesn't work, back to USB floppy drive. :-(