ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752800 Members
5708 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL160G6 question regarding the B110i raid controller (auto rebuild)

JSIT
Visitor

HP Proliant DL160G6 question regarding the B110i raid controller (auto rebuild)

Hi All,

I have been testing the B110i raid controller on this server.

We have a raid 1 sata array (hot pluggable) and, being used to sas/scsi, if I popped one of the disks and put it back in,  I would expect it to simply start the rebuild of the raid set.

It does not seem to do that on this server.

I do realise that I am replacing the disk with the one that has failed but that hasnt been an issue before (naughty I know but in past experience I have popped a failed disk back into the server and it has rebuilt without issue, sometimes getting another few months out of a disk).

Upon reboot the server does detect the disk has failed and rebuilds correctly but it doesnt when replacing while the OS (Server 2008 R2) is running. It kind of defeats the purpose of having hot pluggable disks/chassis.

Is there something I am missing or is this by design?

3 REPLIES 3
Sirajul haque
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Proliant DL160G6 question regarding the B110i raid controller (auto rebuild)

I just read that "Hot plug functionality , use HP Smart Array Hot Plug Advance Pack for B110i"

Installing the HP Smart Array Hot Plug Advanced Pack for B110i license key:

When installed and activated, the HP Hot Plug Advanced Pack license key enables the user to remove
and install hard drives without powering down the server.

Doc: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01706551/c01706551.pdf

Just wondering whether you have this installed?

Though I work for HP, I do not represent HP here :)
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Refer to this document http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02555555

Features of the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller:
Licensable Hot Plug Support
Hot Plug drive support (with license key)

Thanks

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JSIT
Visitor

OK, thanks for the replies.

That explains why the hot pluggable server was similar in price to the non hot pluggable one.

Cant help but to feel a little duped by this server, is it just me that sees little point in selling a server as hot pluggable when in fact it is a licenced feature, afterall, who would buy a hot pluggable chassis without wanting to use hot pluggable capability?