HP Proliant DL360 G5 Memory upgrade

Can some expert help determine why my memory won't work:

I have two DL360 G5 blade servers:  One has 32GB RAM and Second has 12GB

I needed to swap the memory between the two servers but won't work

Here is memory Specs:

Server 1:  32 GB (8x4GB):   4Rx8 PC2-5300F 555-11-22

Server 2:  4x 2GB 2Rx4 PC2-5300F 555-11--E0

4x1GB  2RXx8 PC2-5300F 555 - 11

What must I change or configure to make this work?

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP BladeSystem to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).
-HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant DL360 G5 Memory upgrade

Ensure that memory modules in DIMM slot 1A and 3A match. Furthermore, ensure that memory modules match between 5B and 7B, 2C and 4C, 6D and 8D.

Meaning to say, within banks the pair of memory modules must be identical.

In the server’s QuickSpecs, the memory charts show least capacity memory modules installed in DIMM slots 1A and 3A and higher capacity in subsequent banks of B, C and D.

Click here for the server's QuickSpecs.

Furthermore, based on memory protection enabled in the server, refer to section "Hardware options installation > Memory options > Memory configurations for memory module population requirement" in the server’s user guide.

Click here to view the user guide.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

PeterAkwichek
Occasional Visitor

Hello SIr,

I think you very much for your rapid respond and I do appreciate it.   Though your directions is explicit and knowledgable but my problem is still unrsolved for the fact that:

I have 8 sticks of 4GB of exact memory size and specs to fill all the 4 banks giving me a total of 32GB.  So since the memory sizes are the same, therefore matching memory bank rule should be fine, Right?

I am confused why this same Memory modules work on one HP Proliant DL360 G5 but not  on the same Server with same specs?

This tells me, there is sitlll some configuration I need to know so that the DL 360 G5 Server can accept my 4GB sticks in all the 4 Memory banks.  This works on one of my other DL 360 G5 servers, why not on the second DL360 G5?

Vijayasarathy, please tell me more how to get this to work

Thanks a lot for your help

TVVJ
HPE Pro

If there is an issue with only one server, but not with any other, then there could be an issue with that server’s system board. To isolate the issue, install known working memory modules, with identical HP Spare part numbers,  only in Bank A and check if the server work’s correctly. If so, then add memory modules in subsequent banks, one bank at a time, in pairs of matched Identical HP spares. If the server does not work with any memory module, then it points to a hardware defect.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo