1752805 Members
5549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL380/G4 Hangs/Crashes

James Chapman
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant DL380/G4 Hangs/Crashes

I've got a server that for the most has been pretty solid, but last week it kept shutting down for no apparent reason. OS event logs are clear,HP integranted log are same. When i arrived on site, the server was running, fans making a awful racket, disks were blank no status at all. Cycled power post OK, OS loaded but before i could login...Boom it went down again. Popping the top i noticed the following status lued's were AMBER, BI, IE, NM and SB. These are located just to the right of the memory slots. I've been looking online and in the forums with no luck. It's under maintenance but they want to know which parts to replace. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thx.
5 REPLIES 5
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Hi James,

Looks like a similar fault but with a difference.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1123553

Here, the server is completely dead and having replaced the System Board had temporarily resolved.

In your setup, it boots to OS and then crashes.

Further more, Incase if you havent tried this. Could you try to re-seat the PCI Riser Cage on the server to check if it helps?

Refer to The Maintenance and Service Guide.
Page: 30 and 31

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634#1

Part Replacement : Could be System Board or PCI Riser cage

Hope this gives you some Pointers.
Please keep us updated on the issue, bit curious to know :-)

Regards,
Prabhu
James Chapman
Occasional Advisor

Hi Prabhu,

I plugged the server in and it failed immediately, reseated the power supplies and so far so good. The failure time wasn't consistent so i should know be this time (1:53 PM CST) tomorrow. I didn't think to check the seating, this server has been in production for a year and a half with not so much as a peep.

I'll let you know the final outcome.

-James
James Chapman
Occasional Advisor

Further to these problems, the server has crashed twice more. I have reseated all components and connectors and applied the latest firmware. Still a problem, one change though only 3 Amber LED's (BI, IE & NM).
I'm going to order a new Motherboard, as luck would have it, it is still under warranty. I'll add result once MB is replaced.
James Chapman
Occasional Advisor

M/B replaced System is now functioning normally.
James Chapman
Occasional Advisor

After reseating all componants and cables problem still occured, so replaced the Motherboard. This was my initial suspect but i wanted to rule out all the other factors.

Thx.