Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Proliant DL380 G5 - NC373i.

hpabc
Advisor

HP Proliant DL380 G5 - NC373i.

Hi,

Please excuse me for the brief description.

We have installed a new HP Proliant DL380 G5 server with Win2K3-R2. It has roles of File and Print Server. The problem is users PC connecting to this server with a mapped network drive hangs suddenly. It is quite normal otherwise but this happens quite often. Like the connection with the user and server gets disconnected for a minute and things get back normal again.

I checked the perfomance monitors. The Network Interface usage is quite high, even during off-peak hours. Like adding the "Current Bandwidth" counter in the "Network Interface" object with instance "HP Network Team_1 -Network Load Balancing Filter Device" - the usage stays fully at 100% all the time!

The server has two integrated NIC, NC373i Multifuntion Gigabit Server Adapter. Both are teamed as given,
Team Type Selection: Transmit Load Balancing with Fault Tolerance (TLB)
Transmit Load Balancing Method: Automatic (Recommended)
TOE is enabled. iSCSI and RDMA is not enabled.

One of the two NICs does not Receive any packets at all, but does Send packets. The other funcions with Both Send/Receive.

Speed/Duplex Setting: Auto/Auto. Both are connected to a gig port Switch.

The current 2 NC373i adapter driver version is - 2.18.13.0 (Latest on website is 3.4.10.0)
The current HP Network Team driver version is - 8.55.0.0 (Latest on website is 8.80.0.0)

I found a link to one of the post here, where installing the latest drivers cause in lost one of the embedded nc373i ports. Like to post is - http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171555

Is there any problem in above configuration settings of the Network Team? Normally installing latest drivers should not create any problems. Can it be upgraded to the latest driver to resolve the above problem?

Please guide.

Thanks in advance.

hpabc.
1 REPLY
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 - NC373i.

hi

some G5s server like dl360 g5, dl380 g5 and ml350 g5 and NC373i are giving some issues
it is supposed TOE and RSS is going to help CPU so in that way CPUs forget data and turns its activities to applications (the most important)
but it seems like TOE is not doing its job very well

check this thread and the recommendations

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171490

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!