ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753389 Members
7312 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 PPM problems after 3 months/Also will not handle more than 12GB of RAM

Cinnamonbun
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant DL380 G5 PPM problems after 3 months/Also will not handle more than 12GB of RAM

PROBLEM #1

Hello everyone! Recently I bought my first server which was a HP DL380 G5  that was going to be used as a Domain Server/Home server/FTP/etc for my house.

I bought it around 7/20/14, and I didn't even use it much for the first 3 weeks, when I got around to installing AD/Domain/FTP/ETC I usually turned it on only once a day, then about a month ago I started running it 24/7 as it is built to do.

About  three weeks ago I woke up and saw the server was off and the Internal Health LED and both PPM LEDs were red/amber.

So I tried troubleshooting it for about 3 days, until I gave up and decided to order 2 brand new PPM modules for the server.

They came in the mail last week and I replaced the (presumabely faulty) Modules, and I booted it up and it worked made it even worse, instead of just turning off after an hour it now will shut off within 10 minutes and show the same error, except that it only shows one PPM slot being bad instead of two.

I tried inspecting the slots to see if there were any problems and there weren't, I checked the Powersupply backplane, which seems to be okay, checked my single power supply, again seems to be working fine, LED on the back of the powersupply is showing up so that's good.

Do I need to order a new backplane and 1000Watt powersupply, will it definitely fix it? I don't want to have to waste any more money and find out it is something else.

Any suggestions?

PROBLEM #2

HP DL380 G5 will not accept more than 12GB of RAM

NOTE: This problem happened before the PPM failure, I am mainly just curious about this.

When I try to put the kit in, and start the DL380, it will not POST and makes a really annoying high pitched noise, if you are asking, is the DIMMS bad? No. I have tried over 4 different types and they wont work.

You may ask, are the slots bad? No.

I've tested all the slots and they work.

If I use slots 1,2,3,4,5,7 of theslots it will boot.

If I only use 4 of the slots in any order, it will boot fine.

This is EXTREMELY infuriating because it says on the HP website it can support up to 64GB of memory.

I have dual Xeons in this computer, and I also found this http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware...77015.html

Apparently it wont work with more than 8GB of memory installed, but mine will work with 12GB if I use it in slots 1,2,3,4,5,7

2 REPLIES 2
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 PPM problems after 3 months/Also will not handle more than 12GB of RAM

It's kind of an old server, not sure how much support you might find for it.

If you think the PPMs were bad and you replaced them and they're still bad, it might not have been the PPMs.

For the memory, check them to see if they're dual or single ranks since that can make a difference on how many you can add.

The most memory I've ever installed on a DL360 or 380 G5 is 32GB, and that was with 8 x 4GB modules, and that works fine.

Be sure to check the quickspecs:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04286057.pdf

Cinnamonbun
Occasional Visitor

Yeah, I have tried different memory configs to no avail unfortunately