4959 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 Server

francisgamo
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant DL380 G5 Server

Hello everyone,

How do i replace the malfunctioning hard disk of the server mentioned above without lossing the data on that hard disk?

help me please.

Thanks in advance

Francis

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

is the disk in a RAID? Is the disk connected via an HP smart array controller? If so, you can just replace the disk with a similar one and the RAID will rebuild.

You can use "HP ACU" to verify what you have.
francisgamo
Occasional Visitor

Yes it is connected on a smart array controller. how do i do that? should i turn off the sever before removing and replacing that bad hard disk?

Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

What is the raid configured in your server?

How many drive are installed?

Did the server is up?

If yes can you share with us an ADU report please ( start/all programs/HP system Tools/ array configuration utility)

You dont need to turn Off the server to replace the defective hard drive.you can just replace it with a similar one when the server is up and the RAID will rebuild automatically.

I am an HP employee
Vlad_T
Frequent Advisor

Hi francisgamo,

I don't really understand your question - in case the hard drive is within a RAID configuration, then you most likely have redundancy (unless you have RAID0 or another failed drive(s)), so you shouldn't worry about replacing the drive itself. G5 servers use hot-plug HDDs (by us it's usually distinguished by the purple color on the handle), thus you shouldn't worry about replacing whilst the system is live.

In case the disk is not configured in RAID and it has just a predictive failure, or want to replace it because of SMART warning or something like that, you can create a RAID 1 with this drive, insert a second hard drive, let the controller replicate the data on the second drive and then just remove the first one. this of course has its risks, so I wouldn't go for this option ifI had other options, so it'd be best if you shared either the ADU report, or just explained the current configuration and why you want to replace the hard drive (has it failed or entered rpedictive failure state)?

Best regards,

Vlad

I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details