5347 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G5 server Fan issues

calvinl
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant DL380 G5 server Fan issues

Someone help.

I have 4 x HP Proliant DL380 G5 server. My one server keeps going through fan like a dog goes through bones.
It’s a strange error. The single row of 4 fans that cools the processors and memory. Only happens to Fan 6, 5 and 4 but not fan 3. They slow down then stop working, giving me fan fail errors. A min later they start up again. It repeats this sequence every 10 min.

I have replaced all 3 fans with new ones and shutdown the box. This stop the error for about 4 to 5 days but then starts up all over again. I am at my wits end.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

That sounds like a fault with the fan controller on the system board.

Used to be known thing on the ML370 G3s but the symptoms sound the same on your server...

Is all your Firmware and BIOS fully upto date?

I'd try that first...

Thanks,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
calvinl
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.

In desparation i got hold of a second hand working DL380G5 and replaced the fan controller board. Its a seperate borad from the mainboard connecting with a cable.

I will install the suspect board into the second hand one and test to see if that was the issue. I have not taken the firware and bio upto the lates yet.

I will come back and tell you what i have found.

One question. If i have an identical DL380. can I take the drives out the current server and place them in the backup one. Do you think i will have to do any type of reconfig?

Thanks

Calvin

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hi Calvin,

re swapping the drives from one server to another.

The array information is always shared between the drives and the array controller. This enables you to swap out a faulty array controller without any loss of data.

So, the answer to your question is yes, but I'd probably swap the drives AND the array controller together to keep it totally happy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)