108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G6 Server Failure Replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Julier_1

HP Proliant DL380 G6 Server Failure Replacement

Hi Guys,

Our HP Proliant DL380 G6 Server has failed we do not have a back up but the disks (5 of them in the raid) are fine.

i have ordered a new server for tomorrow and need to know can i simply plug in the 5 disks or do i need to move the raid controller across. (what if that has failed)

Is there a recovery method??

any help pleaseeeeee!!

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
wobbe
Respected Contributor
Solution

Moving the disks to the new server should work just fine. No need to reconfigure or move any controller. Assuming you use the onboard p410 controller.
Mark Julier_1

Hi there,

are you sure as i have been told that the new raid controller will not know about the 5 disk raid and will want to wipe them to create a new raid!!

how does the raid info get moved across?

sorry if my questions are basic

thanks
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Yep, I'm sure.
The raid configuration is stored on the harddisks. The new server will just read this configuration and configure the controller correctly.
Mark Julier_1

Cool thats sounds good,

Can you confirm that you have done this before with a raid?

the only reason i ask is that loosing the data is NOT an option :-)

Cheers
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Done it with HP G2, G3, G4, G5 and G6 servers. I always have a spare server on standby for cases like this. You should be just fine :)
Mark Julier_1

thanks mate, will post back my joy tomorrow :-)
Sammy Mah
Occasional Advisor

Would he have to put them in the correct order? I don't think you can mix up the order of the originals, can you?
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

Also, when you remove the hard disk and connect it in a new server, there are chances that the raid can break.

Also, the new server where you insert the hard disks should have the same configuration, and the same storage controller. Also, the firmware should be the same.

If the hardwares dosent match, there are chances for the raid to break.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

On a G5 (P400 controller) you can mix up the hd positions. The controller will notice this, give you an notification message, but things will work normally. (Done this) I assume this will be the same for a G6 (P410) But I just would not take the risk experimenting.

It might be an good idea to load the latest firmware and Proliant support pack on the new server. But I would not worry to much about firmware levels.

Hardware differences are not really a problem since the o.s. is most likely plug and play. But I would get the same raidcontroller options.
For example the P200 example only supports Raid 5 with the additional BBWC module.