Go to solution
mario_bros_tech
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant DL380 G6 "Failed Drives"

Hello all,

I have an HP Proliant DL380 G6 with the following SAS drives:

• 12x 140GB 10K RPM SAS Drives
  • 3x 900GB 10K RPM SAS Drives

Recently, I went to reboot the server, and the box said that two of my drives have failed and that I needed to replace them if I wanted to continue running the system. I wanted to make sure the two drives were definitelly dead, so I ran the drives in an external drive enclosure. And, the drive spun up and mounted on my system. I then went back to the server and moved the drives to another port, and guess what? The drives spun up and were fully detected and working the box. I cleaned off the ports with compressed air, with no luck.

There is something strange that I'd like to point out. When the server posts with the working drives, you can hear them spin up. However, the "broken" drives aren't audible when the box posts. Also, the drives can't be that messed up because the server lights up the LEDs orange when the box finished posting.

What should I do? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
mario_bros_tech
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G6 "Failed Drives"

I'll check that this week... I will also try using a SAS cable I know works and will report back!

Thanks again for the feedback!

mario_bros_tech
Occasional Advisor

One of the SAS connectors was disconnected! However, now, I am getting a similar error to the one described here:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/HP-DL380-G6-Server-Not-Booting/m-p/6968206

I get the same errors here: a controller self-check failure.

The battery and motherboard are good, but when I remove the cache module, I get a different error (so it's not that).

What should I do now? I doubt I have a failed controller because I got it to boot once before.

mario_bros_tech
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I figured it out! I had to simply tighten the SAS connectors and reseat the cache several times. The system is now detecting the RAID controller.