108759 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant DL380 G7 will not see same type of SAS drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
rocbar
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant DL380 G7 will not see same type of SAS drive

I have a Proliant DL380 with two 146GB SAS drives.  Part# 418399-001.  I've installed 2 more new drives of the SAME part#: 418399-001.  The DL380 G7 will not see the two new additional drives.  Even when swapping bays, the server will not see the new drives.

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G7 will not see same type of SAS drive

What won't see the new drives? The operating system, or the Smart Array configuration utilty? When you add drives you must create an array, or expand an existing array

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
rocbar
Occasional Advisor

The Smart Array Configuration utility.  I can't expand the existing array because the Smart Array confuguration utility cannot see the new drives.  Also, the ligts on the drives are a steady amber only.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the drives are showing amber when you plug them in, either the drives are defective, or possibly an issue with the backplane

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
rocbar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help Jimmy.  I believe the drives are bad.  We ordered a total of 4 drives and only 1 is working correctly.  I will take it up with the seller. Talk about bad luck. Thanks.

CostinCocu
Occasional Advisor

So usually when a drive is blinking amber are the following options:

1. the backplane is defected

2. the power cable of the backplane is defected

3. the hdd is defected

4. the data cables are defected

5. the smart carriers are defected.

also i saw cases when 1 hdd was amber and appeared as defective because 1 of the drives from his vicinity was also defective. try to leave one hdd which presents amber led inserted into cage and try to remove 1 by one the other hdd. if the lights disappear it means that there is a conflict between that 2 drives. if the amber led still persist than could be the drive. i dont know if you have access at the following commands:

hpssacli

then at the new prompt try to run:

ctrl all show config

if you have access at that comands please post the output here and maybe we can identify the problem.

I can offer assistance regarding: DL380 G8, ML350 G8,9 DL560 G8 and most of the DL G9
rocbar
Occasional Advisor

Hi ConstinCocu,

Thanks for the reply.  However, on the 4 additional disks, the lights on them are a solid amber only.  Also, when swapping the new drives out in the bays with the ones that are working, they are still solid amber.  I've put one drive in at a time with no avail.  Out of the 4 drives that I got, only one works.  Also, with the drives that I know work, I've swapped through all 8 bays and they are working fine.  Also, can I run the ctrl all show config without an OS installed? This is going to be an ESXI 6.0 test box.

CostinCocu
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

from what you said it seems that the HDD's are defective. Also you can connect that suspicious drives to another computer /server and run some aditional tests and see the output. But, just to be sure, the harddrive should be returned to vendor.

I can offer assistance regarding: DL380 G8, ML350 G8,9 DL560 G8 and most of the DL G9
rocbar
Occasional Advisor

I'm pretty sure it's the drives too.  I've contacted the vedor and they are shipping new ones out this week. Thanks for all your help.

rocbar
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Go the new drives.  Just as I suspected, the other 3 drives were bad. Life is good.