1752808 Members
5772 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G7 won'tr post after memory upgrade

gzartman
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant DL380 G7 won'tr post after memory upgrade

I have a Proliant DL380 G7 that intially had 1 x Xeon X5670 CPU and 36 GB RAM.   Life was good and the server ran solid and happy.

I decided to upgrade the box to 2 x Xeon X5670 and 48GB RAM.   I bought the proper CPU and also additional memory of the same exact kind as was in the box.  Both procs have the same stepping.  

I installed the additional processor and re-installed all the RAM per the HP RAM guidelines. (basically 6 sticks per bank in channels A,B,C,D,E,F)    

After I did all of this, the box wouldn't post during bios.  After messing around with the RAM for like 3 hours, I came to find out that ANY installation of RAM in bank 2 causes the machine not to boot.  I even just installed 3 sticks per bank in channels A, B, C.   Nothing.

If I keep all the RAM just in bank 1, then the box boots up and it sees both processors.  

My question is this:  I'm thinking the motherboard is bad, but I'm not entirely sure.  Is it possible that the unit would see and operate on both processors, but somthing about that second processor is causing the unit not to want to reconginize bank 2?

Thanks,

GZ

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G7 won'tr post after memory upgrade

you might try blowing out all the DIMM slots for CPU2, they will accumulate dust over time.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!