1748178 Members
4272 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 server

JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 server

I am installing Linux 7.1 on HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 server and the display get slanted.

Kindly advise the graphic drivers that I should apply to resolve this problem, Is it NVIDIA drivers?

Operating system is Red Hat Enterprise Linux server 32/64 bit x86.

The problem happen when using server console.

Kindly advise driver to install on this model of server.

regards,

John.

11 REPLIES 11
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

You may install the operating system with basic video driver. For information refer to the document detailing steps for another HP ProLiant Gen9 server model.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I managed to install Linux 7.1 using another screen, keyboard and mouse and display was completed successfully.

Problem is when I connect the Tripp Lite 1U rack mount console with LCD the display get slanted similar to the document image you provided.

Do you know the solution to correct this issue on Linux, I hope I need to apply display driver on this server, I contacted Linux support and advised to download NVIDIA driver and also I contacted NVIDIA support they asked to check the server for model of the card installed.

Kindly assist.

JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

I mean installation completed successfully.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

What does slanted mean here? Does the picture lean in a particular direction? Or as in "distorted"?

One obvious thing to try is to try with another monitor - perhaps the resolution is not good for your KVM or something.

xrandr command is usually helpful in determining the settings or in the GUI there is also display settings.

There's also iLO - you can get the console from your PC.

P.s.

This is not the official server support - it's a forum where voluntary and sometimes HP people respond. I'd remove the serial number from your post if I were you.

JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

On connecting KVM i get below image.

Blur display.jpg

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@JohnFM wrote:

Thanks, I managed to install Linux 7.1 using another screen, keyboard and mouse and display was completed successfully.

Problem is when I connect the Tripp Lite 1U rack mount console with LCD the display get slanted similar to the document image you provided.

Do you know the solution to correct this issue on Linux, I hope I need to apply display driver on this server, I contacted Linux support and advised to download NVIDIA driver and also I contacted NVIDIA support they asked to check the server for model of the card installed.

Kindly assist.

If it works fine on a different monitor, the issue is more than likely the Tripp Lite not being able to handle the video resolution KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) is using as default. You can try adding 'video=640x480' or 'video=1024x768' or other video options like 'nomodeset' and vga=normal

The video controller in the server is a Matrox not NVIDIA

I don't see this issue on any of the DL380 Gen9 systems I have in the lab running RHEL 7.x

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

Server was displaying OK after changing resolution using below command

inst.resolution=1280x1024

The video card is Intergrated Matrox G200eH2 with 16MB of video RAM.

After few days server does not display at all, VGA - no signal, I tried to use a different monitor no response NO DISPLAY - NO SIGNAL, I do not know the cause of this problem. Keybpord lights comes up but monitor just does not display anything.

Kindly assist.

John.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Does it display POST information when you power it on?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JohnFM
Occasional Advisor

When powered ON there is no display at all, it just display NO SIGNAL on the monitor and goes blank.

I tried to use different monitor but same problem. Server itself boots but on monitor nothing is displayed.

It seems monitor does not get signal from server.