3857 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Proliant DL560 Gen9 not discovering internal Disk drives

Yaboto
Super Advisor

HP Proliant DL560 Gen9 not discovering internal Disk drives

Hi,

I went to Smart Storage Administrator but did not discover any disk drives..  I saw the Smart arrays (Dynamic P4xx.... & P4xx....) but none of them could discover the internal disk drives.

The Dynamic smart array was seeing only the CD Drive.

I tried to toggle betwwen HBA mode and Smart Array Raid mode configurations but still there are no discovery of disks drives.

Please Advise.

Yaboto

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What controller are the drive backplanes connected to?  The DL560 has several drive bay, controller and cabling options.  Unfortunately I don't have that model in my lab to physically look at.  If you only have the standard 8 Bay drive cage, it may be connected to the B140i controller and that controller only supports SATA drives. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
FTORRES84

Hi, you try change Bios from uefi to legacy?

On hp gen9 servers have this issue.

If the server have active warranty, call the support for solution.

Regards.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Changing from UEFI to legacy should make no difference (unless your OS doesn't know how to deal with UEFI).  What specific issue are you referring to that HPE Gen9 servers have with UEFI?

Yaboto
Super Advisor

A

Yes, the 8 bay drive cage is connected to the B140i controller. This B140i is not discovering the internal SAS Hard disk drives, as you said earlier. Thanks Jimmy Vance for this vital info that has saved my time considerably and has narrowed down my troubleshooting!

1- Does this mean i have to mandatorily change the SAS HDD to SATA HDD?

B

I have an additional P440 Smart Array (726821-B21) in slot 3 of the slot expansion cage. I tried removing the connection cables (port 1 & port2) from the B140i interface to the P440 interface but the P440 card has only one port that is wider than the B40i port.

2- How can i connect the existing cables (originally connected to the Bi140) to the P440?

C

In case it is not possible,

3- what should i do now without incurring major extra cost on the factory integrated DL560 Gen9 that i have already delivered at the customer site? 

Thanks!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You can either swap out  the SAS drives for SATA, but the embedded B140i controller isn't as robust as the P440. The P440 is a hardware based array controller and will provide much better performance. According to the Quickspecs I think you need one of the following cables, but I don't have a unit to check. I'd suggest calling HPE support.

HP ProLiant DL 560 Gen9 Bay 1 to Riser1/AROC and Bay 2/3 to Riser2/Slot7 SAS Cable Kit   797945-B21
NOTE: Required if controllers H240/P440ar/H240ar/B140i in riser1/AROC
(Smart Array HBA Connector) need to be connected to Bay1, or if controllers
P840/P440 in Riser2/slot7 need to be connected to Bay2/3. Also needed if
controller P440 in slot7 needs to be connected to Bay2/3.

HP ProLiant DL560 Gen9 Bay 2 to Riser1/AROC and Bay 2/3 to Riser1/2 SAS Cable Kit    797946-B21
NOTE: Required if using controllers H240/P440ar/H240ar/B140i in
riser1/AROC (Smart Array HBA Connector) which need to be connected to
Bay2, or if using controllers P840/P440 in Riser1/2 which need to
be connected to Bay2/3.