4777 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Proliant ML 150 G3 performance problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ramon #2

HP Proliant ML 150 G3 performance problem

Our HP Proliant ML 150 G3 server gives service to 8 users whose data is on a software (not hardware!!) RAID-1 with two SATA disks. The users suffer continuous short interruptions during which their sessions "freeze" for a second, more or less. These interruptions are not caused by network traffic problems but we are almost certain that are caused by the load of the hard disks. I have been told to switch to hardware RAID-1 and/or to install SAS drives.

I would thus appreciate help on these questions:

1. May hardware RAID-1 solve our problem? Our HDs' speed is 7200 rpm and the users' data transfer rate is moderate. Are these HDs good enough? Sure these questions may be difficult to answer...

2. In case our solution is to have SAS disks, is it possible to easily install a SAS drive controller in this computer? And what is the approximate price?

Thanks in advance.

Ramon
3 REPLIES 3
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Proliant ML 150 G3 performance problem

hi,

your HDD's are ok, you can enable NCQ if possible to make them faster, your controller is an HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller or HP 8 Internal Port SAS Host Bus Adapter with RAID so you dont have to buy a new controller (expect that you may need a high performance one since the hba/sata is an entry level one)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ramon

mmm

well NCQ is supported only in the most recent 500 GB and 750 GB SATA HDDs and also must be supported in the controller P400, P400i, E500, and P800 as well, not the embedded one. (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/sata/questionsanswers.html#2e)

so one thing you can try is enable cache in controller:
pressing F8 during POST when controller appears

Navigate to "Manage Arrays" and select the array you want in the "List of Arrays" Don't press "Enter" this will just show you a summary of your configuration. Instead do the following:
- Press (Ctrl + W) "Enable Write Cache" (Option)

now your questions

1. yes eventually that can help you a HW RAID

yes you can use a SAS controllers, these are the options

HP SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter
416096-B21
HP 8 Internal Port SAS Host Bus Adapter with RAID
347786-B21
HP Smart Array E200/128 BBWC Controller
411508-B21

to get prices
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/?cc=USтМй=EN

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Ramon #2

Hi, this is Ramon again. Just to close this thread: I finally installed a SAS controller and two SAS disks with RAID-1 and now everything runs much quicker!

Thanks for your advice.

Ramon