6002 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML110 G6 Breaks down offen

colliema
Visitor

This is a very enlightening thread...

I've been struggling with the same issues with my ML110 G6 server, running WHS 2011. After making sure the BIOS and all drivers were up to date, I spent weeks playing around with what appeared to be a memory issue. I've tried several "compatible" combinations of memory (1,2, 4 and 8GB), runs stable with the original inadequate 1GB HP DIMM, hangs at least once every 24hr period with (2) 1GB HP DIMMs.

I did notice that looking in the system logs under the advanced tab in the BIOS setup after one of the hangs, a "OS Critical Stop" entry was logged with a "6F - Sensor specific" tag. This appears to happen with each hang. Can anyone tell me how to track down the cause for this error?

colliema
Visitor

As an update, I enabled the "Clear System Event Log" selection under the BIOS setup menu /Advanced/IPMI/System Event Log and the system has run stable for days. May be part of the answer...

thebase

Hello, try to disable the "memory interleaving" from BIOS, this fix for me ;)

Roberto

MP-Redtree
Visitor

Hi everyone

I have a ML350 G6 and an ML330 G6 with the same issues, Both SBS 2011 with SP1

the steps so far on the ML350 are as follows

1) Disabled the HP Automatic Server Recovery

the server now hangs for a short while and does not reboot.

2) Diabled AV

made little difference.

3) Disabled all HP services,

I'm stable at the moment but will feed back on this later.

The ML330 we are going to stop the HP services one at a time to see wich one may be causing the issue.  We have other servers on SBS2011 ith no problems, the main difference is the HP software.

Hope this helps someone.

MP-Redtree
Visitor

I'm going to disable the "memory interleaving" from BIOS on the ML330 as Roberto suggested and will post back about this in the next few days.

dwesely

Hey everyone, I found this thread via Google and have been experiencing the exact same problems with my ML110 G6. I contacted HP and as some of you probably have found they try to blame anything but their server. Originally, I had 16 GB of Kingston RAM (passed sevaral memory tests with different utilities) which I ended up having to ditch in favor of HP branded memory so they'll support it which I've installed to no avail. I also had just two hard drives in the beginning using the built in RAID capabilities - still had issues. The server is now running SBS2011 with 4 HP hard drives configured on a P212 (256 MB) in two RAID 1 arrays. All current drivers and firmware yet the thing locks up every two or three weeks. I'm basically the only one using it right now so the load is very low.

One thing I noticed but didn't really think about it too much at the time but I didn't have problems with SBS2011 pre-SP1. There could've been an update that broke something? Odds are probably slim but if anyone has a problem with a non-production ML110 they could try testing for it. Worth a shot.

At this point I've configured iLO to see if I can access that when the server stops responding so next time. Anyone have any luck with the ML110 G6 after disabling memory interleaving?

DGTJBarker

Can can confirm that this fix worked for me as well (disabling Memory Interleaving).  This is also on a machine with 10 GB (2GB + 4GB + 4GB).

Akorostel
Occasional Visitor

I also have the same problem with two Proliant ML110 G6 servers (each has 2x2 Gb RAM it shipped with). Servers freeze with period from 2 to 20 days. Screen stops updating, no reaction to mouse and keyboard. However, the "frozen" server is available via network: I can ping it, can explore shared folders, etc. I tried to connect to the installed VNC server application. After long wait (about 5 minutes), it eventually asked for password, but failed to display the server screen (I've waited for about 10 minutes and then closed the client application).

I've made full reinstall, all drivers are up to date, but no effect.

After I found this thread, I tried to reproduce the problem by running Linx test, but it always runs successfully without errors. Yesterday I disabled memory interleaving option in bios. I'll post the result here after some time. 

Akorostel
Occasional Visitor

In addition to the previous post, I can report that after disabling "Memory interleaving" option in BIOS, both servers are working fine. There were no hangs or freezes during last month.

aquilisdicio

I am also having this issue with the same model and server 2008 R2.  I have tried disabling memory interleaving in the bios, without success.  Would appreciate a response from HP on this.