7396 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML150 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution

HP Proliant ML150 G2

Hello,
I was wondering if i might get some advice on a recent issue that just popped up with our server. We have an ML150 and the rear fan went out on it. I thought at first that it might be the fan itself and so I replaced it with a smaller PWM fan and turned the system back on. This fan didn't work either. I tried both the original fan and the new fan on a molex to 3 wire adapter and they both run at full speed. Is the fan port on the motherboard bad? If it is then do I have to replace the whole motherboard? The price for a new one from HP is 600 some dollars which is probably half of what we paid for the server. I'm kinda looking for some guidance in remedying the situation. I currently have a lower CFM fan running full speed off of a molex adapter and the server is running fine.
Thank you for any help that you can give,
Preston
3 REPLIES 3
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor
Solution

Personally, I'd just keep using that fan on the Moldex connector unless you're bothered by error messages, and instead start saving up for a new server.
(G2 servers are getting a bit long in the tooth by now, and the only real reason to keep one running is if there's dedicated HW that it would be impossible or very expensive to move to a new platform.)

Good advice.
Thank you.

Is the system board most likely the culprit then? Is the only solution to replace it?

Preston
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

It sounds like the connector on the motherboard is shot.
Unless you can find a bad solder point, then yes, you'd have to swap the motherboard out.