1752786 Members
5996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML150 W2k3 SAS driver setup

helderl

HP Proliant ML150 W2k3 SAS driver setup

Hi,

I'm installing an HP Proliant ML150 with Windows Server 2003. I need to add the driver to SAS controller in Windows Setup option F6, but this server dont have disquete device drive. How can I had the driver to the operating system. This server dont have a SmartStart.

Thanks is advanced
17 REPLIES 17
jburr
Occasional Advisor

helderl,
I have the same problem. That is what happens when you have a cheap server that does not support the SmartStart installation, but I do think that HP should provide an alternative or at least the information on what to do.

My understanding is that you have basically two choices: You can slipstream the Windows install (I have not done this) or you can use a program like nLite (free and downloadable) to create a new ISO file with the drivers you need integrated into the install. I am not sure how this will work with SBS2003 (my problem child), but I am going to try making a new disk 1 with the drivers installed.

By the way, a USB floppy will not work. It appears that as soon as the Windows install starts to load it looses the connection to the USB drive. I tried this and it does not work.

I will post again if nLite works for me and let you know.

There is a post concerning a ML110 and the same problem somewhere in the forum.

Frankly, this angers me to no end. Why isn't SmartStart supported on all Proliant servers?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Have you tried using a USB floppy? In most cases this will work. With some USB floppy drives you may get prompted for the driver, then when it attempts to copy the driver from the floppy to the drive (after formatting the drives) it will ask for the floppy again. This is because of an incompatability with that model of USB floppy. It's always been found to work when using a supported USB floppy.

I think HP decided to not include floppies on most of the newer servers to "save" on the cost of the server, but I'm not really sure it's working out that way.

Smart Start isn't supported due to the fact that customers who purchased the 100 series wanted low cost over a better or more manageable product.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
jburr
Occasional Advisor

O.K. Terry, I will try to play this silly game. So what you are saying is that all USB floppies are not created equal? I did try to use a USB floppy that we use in house and has worked with every other system it has been attached to and it did not work. Sales here is supposed to have the option part USB floppy for the 150 series on its' way in for me to try. I hope you are correct. I guess it could be a firmware issue of some sort, but that kind of goes around the idea that USB was supposed to be "universal" if you know what I mean. I still feel that documentation should be included with this class of server addressing that issue. I will post again after giving the HP USB floppy a try and let everyone in on the results. Here's hoping.
jburr
Occasional Advisor

Just had a thought concerning the USB floppy question. More research has found that not all USB floppies are created equal. Most are USB 1.1 spec and a few are USB 2.0, which is what the bios on the ML150 directly supports. Curious, but I suppose this could make a difference? Perhaps someone with more engineering knowledge can shed some light.

Any help would be appreciated. HP?
jburr
Occasional Advisor

Alert! I have a possible answer to this question.

Trying to load an incorrect driver from a USB Floppy will cause this problem.

If you have a ML150 G3, you will probably need driver file CP006301.EXE, which is for the LSI Logic controller. After downloading this driver file, expanding it and loading it onto a floppy, the installation read the disk as is proceeding properly.

This is a driver issue. If you need to, pull your controller, get the spare number off of the board and do a search for a driver for that part number.

Thanks to Andres at HP support for all his help.
Dik H
Advisor

Hi,

I'm also stuck with same problem and tried with the cp006301.exe driver package but to no avail. I'm currently using a USB External Floppy drive (ver 1.1). I'm able to load the driver upon pressing F6 during Windows 2k3 installation, but soon after creating partition and setup continues copying files, it prompts for the driver again and this time the same driver doesn't load. Seems like it lost connection with the USB floppy drive and even the drive led doesn't light up.

Any clue? Pls help out how to install the SAS HBA driver/Win2k3.
helderl

I have sucefull installed the server with a toshiba usb drive.

Thanks All for the support.

Hope that HP resolve to include the disquete drive in the new servers
Dik H
Advisor

Hi

FYI. I managed to get it installed using the nlite software. Built an ISO image then booted from the CD.

Nice tool. Helped a lot. www.nliteos.com

iHarry
Occasional Contributor

2Dik Heeroo
You have told "Built an ISO image then booted from the CD".
I have do it, but when Windows last reboot that start - i receive ├Р┬░ BSOD.
Please tell step by step how include the sas driver into distrib.