ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753237 Members
3268 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML150 W2k3 SAS driver setup

Philipp Krug

This is a bit more difficult than just slipstreaming the driver. I tried to get this nice OnBoard Controller to work for more than two weeks and finally I found an solution.

There are three things to do:
First integrate the driver in the textsetup part of the Windows Installation so the driver is loaded without using an usb floppy drive (may work with the original floppy drive fom HP).

Second make the driver available to the GUI-based setup by using the the slipstream method (winnt.sif and '\$oem$\$1\driver\[controller driver]' folder) so the "Pseudo"-device can be installed too.

And at last you have to modify the registry which is used by the windows setup by default. There is just one key missing which is causing the BSOD after the textmode setup.

I will skip part one because I think you have done this step before. The second step is to create a folder structure \$oem$\$1\drivers\[name of you driver] in the root of your Windows CD-folder. Copy the driver files (.inf, .sys, .cat, ...) to this folder an add the following lines to your winnt.sif to the section '[Unattended]'(as they are not existing already):

OemPreinstall=Yes
OemPnpDriversPath="drivers\[name of your driver]"

Now it is time for the most challenging part of modifying the setup routine. You have to load the SETUPREG.HIV from the I386 folder in to the registry editor an add some keys and a dword value. Open the editor with Run->'regedit', select HKEY_LCOAL_MACHINE and use File->Load Hive. Now select the file and enter 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE' on the next prompt. Now you can access the hive under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'.

Right click Services and click on New->Key. Enter the name of your driver (I guess its adpahci) as a new key name.

Right click your new key and click on New->Key. Enter 'Parameters' as a new key name.

Right click on Parameters and click on New->Key. Enter 'PnPInterface' as a new key name.

Right click on PnPInterface and click on New->Dword value. Enter '5' as the value.

The registry will now have the following added...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services\adpahci]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services\adpahci\Parameters]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services\adpahci\Parameters\PnPInterface]
"5"=dword:00000001

Click on the hive you have imported and unload it with File->Unload Hive so it will be saved.

The last step is to modify the HIVESYS.INF. Add the following two entries *above* the line:
'HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\adpu160m","ErrorControl",0x00010003,1'

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\adpahci\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\adpahci\Parameters\PnpInterface","5",0x00010003,1

So that's it. Not that easy and really not worth two weeks of trial and error with that ML150. Now just burn this modified setup on a CD and have a last try. If this is not working for you, I am really sorry and you should return this beast to HP.

Any further questions? Let me know...
Another Name
Occasional Contributor

All those extra steps in that previous post....aaargh! I've just got the process to work, but in MANY less steps. The secret is to run the drvdisk.exe on the HP CD and actually make a floppy (if you have a computer somewhere with a floppy drive). Once you have made a floppy, copy the files off the floppy and put them where you can access them when using nLite. Then just fire up nLite, select to add drivers and create an iso image. When you are prompted for the drivers to add, select the inf file from the folder where you placed the files from the floppy and tell nLite that they are for use in the text-mode setup.

If you point nLite to the driver files as they exist on the HP driver CD and include them in your ISO image, setup will fail, telling you that there are no hard drives in your system. It seems that creating the floppy disc and then pointing nLite to the files from the floppy is the critical thing.
Philipp Krug

Your method seems not to be different of what I tried before all those steps. Which drivers are on the disk after creating it with the tool from the HP CD?

I tried new and old drivers from the website with nlite with no success AND I cannot imagine that nlite is modifing the hive files. And this is necessary for all those who are getting the BSOD after the text-mode setup as far as I know.
Another Name
Occasional Contributor

Ok....here's what I did.

1. Create a floppy disk using the utility on the HP CD.
2. Copy the files off the floppy so I can get to them from my (floppyless) PC.
3. Run nLite. Tell it I have drivers to add. When it gets to that stage, point it to the place where the files were stored in step 2.
4. Create the CD

That's all there was to it. No editing inf files, sif files, or anything else.

Sorry if this is causing you some grief(!), but this is what I did, and it worked.
Athar Tanveer

Hi!
unfortunately these server do not come with a smartstart cd, neither floppy drive. I am sharing my experience with you as I ran into the same situation and tried different options, once I did think about using another floppy drive (USB) but did not try. After several attempts, I tried the branded USB floppy drive from a toshiba laptop. It worked fine and I was able to configure the SAS RAID controller and install windows server 2003.

regards
Athar Tanveer
Oemor Yuson

Hi all, this is just to confirm that we used a toshiba brand USB floppy drive and it worked like magic.

We were actually a little bit frustrated for about 1 and 1/2 days, we initially used a sony floppy but it did not work.

when i saw the post here about a toshiba floppy we scoured our basement and used it. and it worked. thanks for the info.
LLEONV

Lo siento por escribir en English pero no lo domino muy bien.. :(
Voy a indicar lo q hice para poder conectar o instalar un disco duro SATA HP 250GB en un servidor Proliant ML150 G3:

1. Descargar archivo cp006301.exe
2. Extraer archivos a un Diskette
3. Encender Servidor y presionar F10 para ingresar al BIOS.
3.1 Ir a Menu ADVANCED
3.2 Opci├Г┬│n ADVANCED CHIPSET CONTROL
3.2 Yo desactive la opci├Г┬│n SATA AHCI ENABLED => DISABLED
4. Grabar cambios
5. Restart, conectar el Floppy USB(yo ten├Г┬мa uno de marca IOMEGA) y colocar el CD del SO W2003 SERVER en la lectora, presionar F6 en el momento que lo solicite.
6. Va a solicitar que coloque un diskette en la unidad A: a pesar de presionar "S" el sistema no detectaba el Floppy; as├Г┬н que continu├Г┬й con la instalaci├Г┬│n y empez├Г┬│ a copiar los drivers y me reconoci├Г┬│ el disco duro.

No s├Г┬й si tuve suerte pero eso sucedi├Г┬│ y termin├Г┬й de instalar el SO sin problemas, espero que Uds. pueda ayudarles las indicaciones que les he dado..

suerte..

Bye
John Lockie

FOR THE RECORD

Try a different USB floppy drive. The SONY drives do not work.

I changed to a TDK drive and it worked fine without needing to build a custom ISO or slipstream this.

Others seem to have used TOSHIBA drives also.

BUT NO SONY

Thanks
John