New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant ML310e wont start properly and make continuous beeps

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sampenl97
Occasional Advisor

HP Proliant ML310e wont start properly and make continuous beeps

Hi!

My brother recently bought a ML310e for a steal that was described in the listing as working, but as you can tell, it isn't. As soon as you start up the Server it comes to the initialization screen, the fans goes to full throttle and then back down, the screen shows ''Early Processor Initializaton'' and a progress of 10%. Then the screen goes black and then it reappears, but now the progress is at 20% and it's come to the point of ''Memory and QPI link Initialization start''. That's when the server emits this loud constant beeping for 3-4 seconds until it quiets and the screen goes black again.

The screen then reappears to show the progress at 30% but it's still at Memory and QPI Link Initialization. Just after a couple of seconds the server will start to beep again, but this time the beeps are about 2 secs long and comes just after another. And the server will stay like this for an eternity.   

Down in the right corner it shows STATUS CODE : 0186, is this of any help?
I would really appreciate any help i can get

/Samuel

14 REPLIES 14
PGTRI
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

It looks like a memory issue. Check the memory population order.

Are you using hpe dimms?

thanks

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Sampenl97
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the lightning fast response! I'll check the dimms as soon as i get home from work, (I'm writing this during my lunch break). I know for a fact that there was a hp sticker on one side of the dimms, but i think i didnt see hpe anywhere. 

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Click on the "Support" link at the top, then click "HPE Servers Storage and Networking" and enter the model name along with the generation number (Proliant ML310e Gx). The support page will link to manuals (Maintenance and Service Guide) which will show the proper installation of the DIIMMs.

Sampenl97
Occasional Advisor

Hi again, i do know about the memory population and the DIMM's was in correct placement. Though they look pretty similar, 1 of 'em was made in Puerto Rico and the other one in Singapore. Both cards shows the same replacement number.

I'll upload some pictures for you to see.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You can try to boot the server oly with one dimm. What is the server generation? It seems to be a Gen8. 

Your dimms are made for G6 and G7 servers.

thanks

Sampenl97
Occasional Advisor

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that yes i have tried to boot it with one DIMM but it remained the same, and yes it's indeed a Gen 8. Is the minimum requirement for RAM 4gb? And do you know a good place to get UDIMMS for this type of server?

Thanks for the help so far!    :)

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The minimum is 2GB acc. docs. The other things is that the server supports only UDIMMS and you have 2 RDIMMS installed at the moment. Please check the quickspecs of the server for supported memory.

thanks

Sampenl97
Occasional Advisor

Hello again, i found some quickspecs for our model and i will bring a photo of it aswell as a photo on some UDIMMS i found via ebay. Will the UDIMMS shown on Ebay suffice you think?

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please provide the CPU modell and i'll give you the supported dimms acc. the quickpecs of the server.

One very important point: All that here is just an assumption. I don't want that you buy something that will not solve the problem. It looks like a dimm issue, but it can be also something else. So please keep that in mind.

thanks